Daily Devotional for June 30, 2015

Proverbs 16:5
Pride disgusts the Lord. Take my word for it - proud men shall be punished.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Timothy was terribly restless yesterday.  He had a huge week and weekend, which included a trip on Thursday with his great-grandparents to Blanchard Caverns …and a “guys trip” Saturday night to the stock car races with his Uncle Greg, his Paw-paw, and his dad. I think there were other special activities, too…and by Monday morning, he was one tired little boy.  Like a lot of kids, Timothy does NOT like to nap. So we had a lot of discussions yesterday that went like this…”But I don’t WANT to take a nap!  Don’t rock me…you’re trying to make me go to sleep!  I’m hungry!  But I CAN’T calm down!  I’m really NOT tired!”

When Timothy’s mom came to pick up the children after work, he told her, “Mother, I was HORRIBLE today.”  She said, “Oh, I bet you weren’t that bad!”  He replied, “Oh, yes I was!  I was HORRIBLE!”  Now a lot of children would have totally tried to cover up their “horrible” day…but as Timothy’s mother pointed out – “at least he’s honest!”

Thankfully, this six-year-old boy has not developed a truly prideful heart…and I wish that I could believe that he never will.  Time will tell…but a lot of children have learned to “cover their tracks” by the time they are 8 or 9.  They know how to spin things to their advantage and make themselves look good – or at least innocent.  And when they ARE discovered, the first question (whether voiced or implied) is generally, “Do you still love me?”

As adults, a lot of people want to “spin things,” or force their opinion and ideas on others…then excuse this with, “We can disagree and still love each other!”  The trouble is, more often than not, these people shove their agendas down the throats of others in a judgmental, condescending, and anything-but-loving manner.

Read this passage from Mark 12:28-31…”One of the teachers of the Law of Moses came up while Jesus and the Sadducees were arguing. When he heard Jesus give a good answer, he asked him, ‘What is the most important commandment?’

Jesus answered, ‘The most important one says: “People of Israel, you have only one Lord and God. You must love him with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.” The second most important commandment says: “Love others as much as you love yourself.” No other commandment is more important than these.’

If you can figure out where in this passage Jesus tells us that it’s okay to be prideful or arrogant in our “loving”…then show me!  Too many of us want to push our own agendas with criticism – and even an atmosphere of fear and hatred – and then excuse it all with, “But we still love you!” as if those on the receiving end should somehow be grateful.

I cannot stress enough how disheartened I am by the attitudes, words and actions of many people in recent days.  The attacks have been prideful…and vicious.  And far too many people are trying to hide behind the name of Jesus as they toss daggers and stones.  I implore each of us to search our hearts and look for places where we are spinning things to suit our own whims.  Where have we “acted horrible” and then hoped that people would love us anyway?  If we find even a snippet of this malice and manipulation, I pray that we would ask God to remove it from us…for good.

Proud men will indeed be punished.  Let’s do everything we can to make sure that we are not among them!  If we make a concerted effort to operate in love, there will be no room for pride and judgment.  Are you ready to do some heart “search and rescue?”  Don’t you think this is a good time to start?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: