Daily Devotional for June 22, 2015

Luke 4:4-8
But Jesus replied, “It is written in the Scriptures, ‘Other things in life are much more important than bread!’”

Then Satan took him up and revealed to him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time; and the devil told him, “I will give you all these splendid kingdoms and their glory—for they are mine to give to anyone I wish—if you will only get down on your knees and worship me.”

Jesus replied, “We must worship God, and him alone. So it is written in the Scriptures.”

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

“He wore me down!”  If you have not uttered this sentence at some point in your life, you are probably lying!  Whether it was a child who persisted in the “Please, can I have just one piece of candy/toy/whatever” or a friend who said, “C’mon, it won’t hurt to try just one,” to the person who convinced you that “Everyone is doing it…it’s not that bad”…we have all been “worn down” at one point or another. 

This is the devil’s specialty – wearing us down.  He has the patience of Job – and the persistence of a five-year-old who really, really wants something!  And the only One who can truly stand up to him is Jesus Christ.  “So you are saying there is no hope for us?” you may ask.  No…I am saying that the only way that we can handle Satan is by calling on the power of Jesus Christ to work and through us.

Too many people think that the devil is just an imaginary “bogey man” that Christians use to manipulate others…that he isn’t real.  And they couldn’t be more wrong.  This evil being had the “chutzpah” to try to tempt Jesus Christ!  So we should be anything but surprised that he would take a stab at us on a daily basis!

What does this mean for you and me?  First, we must not think more highly of ourselves than we ought.  We must remember that we are powerless without God.  Additionally, we must work every single day to stay connected to God…to hear His voice…to feel the presence of the Holy Spirit in our heart and mind, so that we have the strength and confidence to say, “I don’t need this…and I most certainly do not need you, Devil!”

Finally, we must not grow complacent.  This, too, is the devil’s stock in trade.  He needles us and whispers lies in our ears and waits for us to wear down – and to give in to his manipulations.  He plays on our frustrations and the fact that everything doesn’t always go as we hoped…and he says, “I’ll make it ALL better if you will join me.”  We MUST NOT fall for this! 

I know this will make me sound wack-a-doodle (and a lot of you already think I am) but I often find myself saying, “Go away, Devil!” I say this several times a day…from the little things like when my serger machine will not re-thread easily to when someone cuts me off in traffic or I am tempted to lose my patience over something.  (I've already had to speak to him this morning!)  You may not believe that "the devil is in the details" of something so insignificant…but I assure you that this is the case! Satan will start with the smallest things and escalate them into big ones, just to get your attention – and your heart.

Recognize that Satan is real…and that he wants you in his camp.  Stay connected to Jesus…listen for His voice and learn from His example.  Remind yourself often that the “Bread of Life” is all you need…and thank God for sending His Son.  Stand tall and strong against the devil, and never let him wear you down.  Only JESUS can “make it all better” and give you the desires of your heart.  Do not be fooled by this imposter.  If you really want Jesus to make a difference in your life, you must surrender completely to His will and trust in His strength and sustenance…on all levels.

Join the “Wack-a-doodle Club” and learn to put the devil in his place.  Call on Jesus to feed you and give you His will power.  Instead of being worn down, wear the full armor of God and stand up…for Jesus – the only One who can really make everything better.


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: