Daily Devotional for June 5, 2015

2 Timothy 2:15
Work hard so God can say to you, “Well done.” Be a good workman, one who does not need to be ashamed when God examines your work. Know what his Word says and means.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Last week, I bought a sack full of ladies clothing at the thrift store that I thought would be fun to repurpose into “play clothes” for Zola.  In other words, at $1 - $2 per garment, I hoped to make some cute, serviceable outfits for her and give old garments a second “life”…but these would not necessarily be “Sunday best.”  I didn’t intend to spend hours on these outfits...I wanted to quickly make some wash-and-wear clothing that would be cool and cute for summer. 

So I picked out a skirt with a fish print that became a cute pair of capri pants.  Another skirt with a “flip-flop” motif became a pair of shorts.  A crinkled plaid blouse became a cute little pullover dress.  And another tee-shirt adorned with flowers and beading became a dress, also.  And I still have a few more garments to refashion.

Even though I meant for these clothes to be “good enough” for the rough play of a rambunctious four-year-old girl…I still could not help myself and my “Type A” personality as I tacked edges and hand-stitched hems.  When a couple of seams didn’t line up quite right, I ripped them apart and started over.  I knew that probably no one else but me would ever know that those flaws were there…but I knew.  And even in something as insignificant as repurposed children’s clothing, I realized that God knew there were flaws and mistakes.

So I did my best to make things right.  And in our daily living, we must be ever conscious of doing this, also.  We can’t gloss over shoddy work and hope no one notices.  We cannot treat others cavalierly and trust that nobody calls us on it.  We must not break the law – even if it is to “fudge” on the speed limit by a few miles or to roll through a stop sign – or lie, cheat or steal and hope we don’t get caught.  We must remember that God.knows.everything.we.say.and.do!  And what matters more than anything is to hear Him whisper, “Well done!”

I say often that someone is always watching.  Today, let me reiterate that Someone (God) is ALWAYS watching!  How is your workmanship?  Are your efforts worthy of His smile of approval?  Do you try to skate by with mediocre offerings, crooked seams, and loose threads of all kinds?  Do you figure that “good enough” is good enough…that what isn’t noticed doesn’t count? 

Let this be the day in which you realize that everything you say and do matters to God.  He is watching…examining…making note!  Have you given Him reason to say, “Well done!”?  Don’t you think it’s time you did?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: