Daily Devotional for June 27, 2015

Matthew 7:21-23
Not everyone who calls me their Lord will get into the kingdom of heaven. Only the ones who obey my Father in heaven will get in. On the day of judgment many will call me their Lord. They will say, “We preached in your name, and in your name we forced out demons and worked many miracles.” But I will tell them, “I will have nothing to do with you! Get out of my sight, you evil people!”

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I spent several hours last night visiting with lifelong friends, and I cannot count how many times we opened our phones and used Google to answer a question.  How old is this person?  What happened to that one?  Was a certain celebrity ever married?  It was all trivial conversation (and I promise, we were not gossiping!).  But rather than speculate, we tried to obtain the facts with regard to our conversation.  Now, before you say it…we all know that you cannot believe everything you find on the Internet.  But we were pretty confident that our search results were at least somewhat more accurate than our own guesses and opinions!

In the end, I would say that we were pretty careful to keep the conversation non-judgmental and loving…to honor our friendship AND our Christian faith. We discussed old neighborhoods, politics, religion and philosophies…and we “kept it clean” - and kind.  If I had to gauge the visit by whether we loved and respected each other…and loved others as God loves us…I would have to say we did pretty well!

If you go back and read all of Matthew 7, it begins with Jesus admonishing us to…”take the log out of your own eye. Then you can see how to take the speck out of your friend’s eye.”(v. 5) Sadly, there are a lot of people who have some pretty big “logs in the eyes”...and yet, they continue to tell others how to remove their “speck.” 

I am reminded of the phrase we often hear…”Love the sinner…hate the sin.”  Someone recently asked me exactly how I thought the two could be separated…and it’s a valid question.  Because if we “hate the sin”…aren’t we judging the sinner? Aren’t we elevating ourselves to Jesus’ level by even naming another person’s “sin?”  In other words, when I claim in the name of Jesus Christ that I am right and you are wrong…how have I loved like Jesus?  Haven’t I somewhat set myself on equal footing with Him?  Where does the Bible teach us that we are ever bumped up to that rank?

Many of us consult Google or another search engine several times each and every day in an attempt to gain the facts. Yet we fail to do the same with our LORD and Savior.  We fail to search the heart and teachings of Jesus and ask Him…”What do You have to say about this?  What is the proper response from me? How do I share You and Your love for others in this situation?” 

Somehow, I think Jesus will show us that a lot of the ranting, raving, demonstrating and judging that we are operating in are not the answer.  And that’s a start.  Once we discern what He desires, we can truly begin to act as His disciples.  We must recognize that to behave otherwise truly is evil…and totally counter to what Jesus has commanded of us. 

I may not always get it right…but I want to be able to say that I always loved Jesus with all my heart…and loved others as He loves me. If I do these things, I trust that He will handle the rest.  What about you?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: