Daily Devotional for July 17, 2016

1 John 4:18-21
We need have no fear of someone who loves us perfectly; his perfect love for us eliminates all dread of what he might do to us. If we are afraid, it is for fear of what he might do to us and shows that we are not fully convinced that he really loves us. So you see, our love for him comes as a result of his loving us first.

If anyone says “I love God,” but keeps on hating his brother, he is a liar; for if he doesn’t love his brother who is right there in front of him, how can he love God whom he has never seen? And God himself has said that one must love not only God but his brother too.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

This morning as we left church, Timothy’s Sunday school teacher, Mrs. Glenda, said to him…”Remember, God loves you!”  Timothy got in the car telling me that God loves us the MOST!  I said, “Yes!  Imagine…as much as I love you – God loves you MORE!  How can that even be possible?!”  We marveled the rest of the way home about how much God loves us and how we wish we could see Him…but we know that He is with us.  Someday, we will see God face-to-face in Heaven – and it will be glorious.  (We have some pretty deep conversations in the short few blocks from church to home!)

In the pre-K class, we studied Joseph, and how he trusted God even as one bad thing after another happened to him. Through all of this, Joseph trusted God.  Our scripture memory verse has been Proverbs 3:5 – “Trust in the Lord with all your heart” (NIV).  We have talked for at least four weeks now about how Joseph trusted God…even when bad things happened – and how we must do the same.  We must believe that God loves us the MOST…that He will take care of us, hear our prayers, and meet our needs.

Greg and I spent the afternoon with family, and when we returned home, we learned that once again, police officers have been shot and killed – this time in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.  As I caught up on reading e-mail messages and social media posts, I was heartsick to see that countless people have already begun a barrage of comments and attacks on certain groups – and a particular individual.

Honestly, I don’t know how I am supposed to teach our children that God loves us and wants us to love others when so many who claim the name of Jesus are spewing such hatred and have such unloving attitudes.  I know that as heartbroken as God is about all of the violence that is occurring in our world…He must be equally devastated by the hatefulness being expressed by some of His children toward others.

I hope we will all take a collective breath and search our hearts – and prayerfully ask God to work to bring about some serious attitude adjustments in many of us.  We cannot be part of the solution until we stop being part of the problem…and hating others and assigning blame based on our own agendas or personal preferences is a problem. I don’t know your heart…what might have caused you to be so angry, fearful, or disapproving of a particular person, race, ethnic group, sexual orientation, socio-economic group, gender, religious belief – or whatever.  I know that sometimes people just don’t like someone else because of the way that he/she looks, walks or talks. We humans are terribly judgmental!  But hear this…God is not pleased with our judgments!

If you are bound and determined to continue judging someone else, then quit saying you love God.  Because scripture plainly states that we cannot love God and hate our brother.  If this offends you, take it up with God.  I cannot sugarcoat this.  I plan to meet God face-to-face someday…and I intend to be able to stand before Him and say with 100% assurance that I loved my brothers and sisters…all of them.

This is a tall order, because I must love not only those who are easy to love…but those who want to hate – and hurt.  I have to love the guy with the weird hair and that dirty person who smells funny - and the person who hurt my feelings.  I have to love my “friends” who post ugly things on social media and the people in the public spotlight who call each other horrible names! I’ll tell you, I’m gonna have to spend some time on my knees to accomplish this! But I am fully committed to doing it, because I love God, and I know that He loves me even more. And this is what He requires of me in return.  What about you?
©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: