Daily Devotional for July 24, 2016

1 Peter 3:16-17
Give a kind and respectful answer and keep your conscience clear. This way you will make people ashamed for saying bad things about your good conduct as a follower of Christ. You are better off to obey God and suffer for doing right than to suffer for doing wrong.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

A brilliant young friend of mine posted questions on Facebook about how people who claim to be Christians could support the political campaign of someone who touts hateful ideas.  She asked what happened to the tenet that “They will know we are Christians by our love,” as stated in John 13:35, which says…”If you love each other, everyone will know that you are my disciples.”  This astute woman asked, “Did you think that [scripture verse] meant love for only people just like you? What kind of cognitive dissonance is this?!”

I completely agree with her…it IS hard to see people behave disrespectfully toward one another – or to champion name calling, back-biting, bigotry, and disparagement of others - particularly when they claim to serve Jesus.  It is disturbing to see fellow believers yell at referees during sporting events…or to witness Christian friends disrespecting each other on Facebook over political issues.  It is upsetting to hear a Christian put down the classmate or teacher of their child, grandchild, niece or nephew over what they deem to be some sort of personal “injustice.”  I could go on, but you get the picture!

I don’t understand how we can claim to love and serve Jesus…and then very clearly draw lines in the sand about who is included and/or welcome at our church services – or in our schools and communities.  Quite frankly, many of us have drawn so many parameters around our faith…how we will serve - and with whom we will associate…that our form of “Christian Discipleship” doesn’t in any way, shape or form reflect the servitude that Jesus speaks of in scripture!

Before you polish my tiara, understand that I have my “moments.”  I can’t say that I am always kind and loving toward every single person I meet.  I am sometimes critical and judgmental, and I probably don’t always offer a thoughtful and respectful answer. I have turned and walked the other way in Walmart to avoid speaking to someone. But I have also caught myself, turned around and spoken to a person who rubs me the wrong way.

I am trying to do better.  I want to have a clear conscience…even when my thoughts, words and actions are unpopular. I want to live in such a way that I can hold my head high before God and say, “I did my best to honor you.”  I probably say things in this space that offend some of you from time to time.  I am certain that there are a few who read these devotionals and disagree with my stance on many issues.  But I cannot look the other way when I feel God showing me an injustice.  I must stay true to what I hear Him telling me.  I must listen when God commands me to serve…wherever that may be.

I pray that we would all take a long, hard look at how we are serving God.  We should ask ourselves whether we take the popular – and easier – road sometimes, rather than deal with the backlash and criticism of others.  Are we willing to do what is right and the true will of God – even when the results cause us discomfort, if not downright suffering - and maybe cost us a “friend” or two?  Are we more concerned with what others think about us than pleasing God?

Just how far are you willing to go with God?  Will this be the day that you settle this question?  Don’t you think it should be?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: