Daily Devotional for July 8, 2016

Philippians 4:8
And now, brothers, as I close this letter, let me say this one more thing: Fix your thoughts on what is true and good and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely, and dwell on the fine, good things in others. Think about all you can praise God for and be glad about.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Like many of us, I had trouble sleeping last night as the horror unfolded in Dallas, Texas.  I was already upset from watching the news reports of the senseless shootings in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and St. Paul, Minnesota. And now, people were apparently choosing to somehow seek revenge by committing more senseless killing. As if this weren’t enough, all of these events came on the heels of a shooting in my little community of 7000+ people one week ago today…another “revenge killing” that left a friend of ours dead, his wife wounded, and his family traumatized – especially his three grandchildren who witnessed the heinous act.  I have heard many say in recent days…”It seems as if the world has gone mad.”

Indeed, this is a sad time…a season of frustration, heartache – and yes, anger.  But before I even turned on news events this morning – or looked at my phone – I thought of Jesus.  I took a few minutes to thank Him for all fine, good things.  I thanked Him for the children who are spending time with us today and giving us a happy diversion.  I thanked Him for our health, our freedom…and our relative safety (though last week’s events proved that no place is 100% safe when someone goes on a shooting rampage).

Because Zola and Nathan are with us today, I have not spent time watching television news or paying attention to social media.  And it has felt good watch children’s television...to sit outside and watch the children ride their bike and blow bubbles in the air…to look at these little ones and our precious cousins who dropped by to visit and believe that there still is good in the world.  I know that God does not intend for these innocent youngsters to grow up with a spirit of fear and judgment.  It is not His desire that they discriminate against others and disparage them…or be on the receiving end of such treatment.

I know I cannot bury my head in the sand and pretend these horrific events have not occurred…much as I wish I could.  But I don’t think there is anything wrong with taking a breather from all of the dissension and opinion on all sides…especially to recognize that Jesus is the same today as He was yesterday.  He is heartbroken over all that has happened…but it doesn’t change who He is or what He wants for us.

I believe more than ever, we are called to look for the good…to see that out of the unbelievable shooting deaths in Baton Rouge and St. Paul, people of all colors and socio-economic status – civilians and police officers alike – stood arm-in-arm to say that ALL LIVES MATTER. We must note how people throughout the world are coming together to stand in solidarity and support for police officers as we mourn those who were so brutally murdered in Dallas.  We cannot separate these events and pit one group against the other.  Each was equally horrific and senseless.  But we look for – and readily acknowledge – the ways that Jesus is mending the broken-hearted and orchestrating an outpouring of love and humankindness in the midst of even these tragedies.

The world has not gone mad…but several have at least momentarily lost their way.  Jesus is calling on you and me to stand up for His goodness…to be His hands and feet in these situations and demonstrate grace, mercy, kindness, forgiveness, compassion, and love for others – ALL of them.  This is our “call to arms,” so to speak…to unite as the “army” of believers and shine His light in the darkness.  Are you ready and willing to do your part?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: