Daily Devotional for July 23, 2016

1 Peter 3:13-15
Usually no one will hurt you for wanting to do good.  But even if they should, you are to be envied, for God will reward you for it. Quietly trust yourself to Christ your Lord, and if anybody asks why you believe as you do, be ready to tell him, and do it in a gentle and respectful way.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

 
Our three little ones LOVE Play-doh®.  Because Play-doh® is not cheap, I am a big meanie about “mixing the colors.”  The kids ask nearly every day if they can put two or more colors together to create the animals and objects pictured on the box…and as long as the clay is pliable, I resist saying “Yes.”  I remind them that once the colors are mixed, we cannot undo it!

This week, I picked up a package of Play-doh® at the store that was designed to be used as party favors. There were 15 mini cans of the clay in a variety of colors. I set the bag on the counter, where the kids readily spotted it.  I told them that each child could have several cans, and they could “mix” to their heart’s content!  Timothy was over-the-moon excited and asked, “WHY are you so nice to us?!”  Greg and I both told him that we love them…and we enjoy doing nice things for them.

Later in the day, the children and I went swimming.  As we drove home afterward, Timothy asked, “Debbie…why are y’all always so joyful and happy?”  I was touched that this is how he thinks of Greg and me.  I responded that because God has been so good, we have every reason to be happy…that even when unpleasant things happen, we don’t stay sad very long, because God helps us through them. Timothy wanted to know if God could help anyone be happy?  I told him that I believe that God can indeed do this…that God can do ANYTHING…and when we ask Him to help us – with anything - He surely will.

There are probably some who think that we do too much for our little ones…that we spoil them or lavish too much time and attention on them. And for the record, we do not give “prizes” every day.  But when I hear one of these children ask me why we are so happy…when I see that they notice our “joy in the LORD”…I know that we are on the right track.

I also know that there are days when my 59-year-old self asks, “What were you thinking?” as I try to physically keep up with these little balls of energy.  But I am aware that the time is short…that before we can blink, these children will be grown…and what we do for them now matters greatly.  Every opportunity we have to love them and show them how significant our relationship with Jesus is - in our lives and theirs - will be critical.

Here I go again…but as much as our three little ones are watching us, others are watching, too. They are looking to see how we conduct “daily business”…what we say and do in every arena - from our homes to our jobs to our church and other public venues…on social media…and even in how we look at others we pass in the grocery aisles or at the gas pumps!  When someone sees us operating with joy and a positive attitude – especially if we claim to be redeemed by the blood of Jesus – they take notice of what God is doing for us.  To the contrary, when we operate with a glum demeanor or a negative attitude…others are left to wonder where the joy of a relationship with the LORD is – or if it even truly exists!

My questions for us to ponder today are…“What are we showing others?  Do they see someone who lives in the joy of Jesus and the confidence that He can help them through any and all situations?  Or do we let “life” drag us down?  When people look at us, do they see someone whose mood is dictated by the events of the day…or do we remain relatively solid and steadfast through all circumstances?

Are we busy doing good and trusting God to direct our words and actions, or are we worried about the opinions and ideas of others?  Who is really running our lives?  Are we joyful and happy most of the time…or do we sway with the wind?

We all have our “moments,” but for the most part, we have every reason to be joyful – and to demonstrate this to others.  I realize that I have at least three sets of little eyes on me, so I have got to bring my “A-game!”  How are you sharing Jesus these days?   Are you so filled with the joy and goodness of Jesus that even a little child would take notice?  Isn’t it time you were?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: