Daily Devotional for July 4, 2016

Matthew 7:13-14
“Don’t look for shortcuts to God. The market is flooded with surefire, easygoing formulas for a successful life that can be practiced in your spare time. Don’t fall for that stuff, even though crowds of people do. The way to life—to God!—is vigorous and requires total attention."
 
Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

We’re all about a good shortcut!  From combinations of characters on our keypad that let us make fancy symbols or print with the touch of a button…to diet supplements that promise to burn fat while we sleep…to the lottery tickets that bring the hope of making us instant millionaires…we welcome any and all opportunities to do things quickly and easily.  So why would we be any different when it comes to our spiritual life?

Today is my 59th birthday.  I woke up with the same white hair…the same extra pounds…and the same age spots and wrinkles that confirm that I’ve been on this planet for nearly six decades!  There is no magic pill to “turn back the clock”…and that’s okay.  Because today, I woke up!  I was able to stand, walk, and talk…greet my husband who has loved me for almost 45 years (and shared his last name for nearly 42 of them)…and enjoy a cooling thundershower that moved through our area.

My Facebook wall and e-mail account are flooded with well wishes from people who love me.  A dear friend sent me an e-card from an artist that my mother loved.  In fact, Mother sent me one of this artist’s cards nearly every birthday in recent years…and today, my friend felt the urge to send me TWO of them. So I feel as though I have received a “nod” from my parents in heaven on this day.  Greg has planned a special pizza dinner for me and invited our immediate family to join us this evening.

God is blessing me every minute…and I am working hard to pay attention!  That means that even on this day, I am studying His word…seeking His will…spending time with Him in prayer and thanksgiving.  I know that my eternal future is secured in Heaven…but I also know that God expects big things out of me every minute that I am alive on this earth.  And He has the same expectations for you! The promise of Heaven may be the ultimate “winning lottery ticket”…but there won’t be any luck involved in cashing it!

So as we celebrate the birth of our country today (and the birthday of a few friends!), let’s remember that there are no shortcuts with God.  We can’t cut corners or use gimmicks and tricks to get where we are going with Him and fulfill His purposes along the way.  We have to embrace life and share His abundance with others…love them fully…forgive wrongdoings and operate in encouragement…offer a kind word and a glimmer of hope…and demonstrate just how amazingly good God is to each of us.

None of us are promised another day…so we must make the most of this one!  We must give God our total attention and effort…even on a national holiday!  We seem to find lots of ways to honor our nation on the Fourth of July…but what are you doing to honor your new life in Christ?  Are you doing the hard work to serve God today…or are you taking a few shortcuts?  Isn’t it time to get this right?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: