Daily Devotional for July 25, 2016

1 Peter 3:18, 22    
Christ died once for our sins. An innocent person died for those who are guilty. Christ did this to bring you to God, when his body was put to death
and his spirit was made alive.

Christ is now in heaven, where he sits at the right side of God. All angels, authorities, and powers are under his control.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I keep replaying Timothy’s question to Greg and me the other day when we gave the children some new Play-doh®…”Why are you so NICE to us?”  It seems like I ask God this same question a LOT!  WHY do You bless me so often and abundantly?  WHY did You sacrifice Your only Son on the cross for MY sins – and those of others?”

Our answer to Timothy is that we love him and his siblings so much.  It is our joy and delight to do nice things for them.  And scripture tells us that this is God’s answer, too…although, for the life of me, I cannot comprehend that much love and care!  I do not think I could ever sacrifice a child – for anything or anyone!  I am profoundly moved by the sentence, “An innocent person died for those who are guilty.”  You and I are among those “guilty” parties.

So this makes God’s love even more profound.  This causes me to appreciate God even more to think that He would allow such horrific things to happen to Jesus – just for me…and for you!  Doesn’t this motivate you to serve better…to be more obedient…to go the second mile?  We serve the most amazing, mighty, powerful…and LOVING God.  No One could love us more than He does.  No One could have sacrificed more than God did, through Jesus Christ.

The next time you start to say or do something that dishonors such a great gift, ask yourself, “Is this a fitting way to show God my gratitude and appreciation?”  As you look at those in your midst and are tempted to criticize, judge, disparage or call them names, consider that EVERYTHING that God has done for you, He offers the other person, also.

WHY does God love us so much?  I really don’t know…but I know that He does.  And that is reason enough for me to love Him back as much as possible.  What about you?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: