Daily Devotional for July 2, 2010

Psalm 27:7-10; 14
Please listen when I pray! Have pity. Answer my prayer. My heart tells me to pray. I am eager to see your face, so don’t hide from me. I am your servant, and you have helped me. Don’t turn from me in anger. You alone keep me safe. Don’t reject or desert me. Even if my father and mother should desert me, you will take care of me.

Trust the LORD! Be brave and strong and trust the LORD.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Our little nephew Timothy has started covering his eyes with his hands and then pulling them away – a version of “Where’s Timmy?” that we started with blankets and cloth diapers several months ago. When he removes his little fists, he just laughs and growls and is quite proud of himself. This is partly because of the fun of the game itself… and partly because he is certain we will still be sitting right there with him when he moves his hands. We are not hiding from him, and we would never desert him. Even at almost fourteen months, this baby has learned a lot about trust… and the peace it brings.

When it comes to our faith in God, we could take a page from the book of a small child. We aggravate, frustrate, and anger God all day long… yet we still expect Him to be right there when we call on Him. And because of His grace and mercy, that’s exactly where we find God… waiting for us, ready to help and never deserting us.

Knowing how much God loves us… and how faithful He is to us… why do we doubt? Why do we test His limits and question His motives – and His timing? Don’t we get it? Don’t we know by now that God will take care of us even when it seems like everyone else has left the building? Our hearts do indeed tell us to pray, because this is the right thing to do. But there is more… we have to believe! We have to trust that God will hear our prayers – and answer. How brave and strong are you today? How much peace is in your heart? Are you trusting the Lord to take care of you? Shouldn’t you be?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: