Daily Devotional for July 23, 2010

Leviticus 26:13
I am the LORD your God, and I rescued you from Egypt, so that you would never again be slaves. I have set you free; now walk with your heads held high.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I still remember January 20, 1981… when fifty-two hostages were released following 444 days of captivity in Iran. I can see them stepping off the plane… thin, shaken, but still holding their heads high. The hostages were captured at the American Embassy in Tehran on November 4, 1979, by a group of Islamic students who were supporting the Iranian Revolution. You can Google more information about this, or go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_hostage_crisis.

Thankfully, most of us will never know the devastation, agony and horror of being held captive. We will never be enslaved and forced to do anything against our will. But many of us are slaves to sin. We are driven by the forces of such things as gluttony, greed, drugs, alcohol, money, and much more. We are slaves to social pressure. And far too many Christians walk around with their heads slung low, encumbered by burdens they shouldn’t be carrying but can’t seem to release.

If this describes you in any way, I encourage you to reflect on this passage from Leviticus. God has rescued us from the bondage of sin through Jesus Christ. We do not have to be held hostage… we do not have to live in slavery. We are free to live as Christ’s chosen people… and if we stay on course with Him and in His will, we don’t have to worry or wonder about pleasing others or conforming to any confines of society. It’s time for us to walk off the plane, so to speak… holding our heads high… and say, “I am a child of God. He loves me as I am, and I am free in Him. I have been rescued from sin… and it feels great! I’ll never be a slave again because of Jesus!”

Where are you in this equation? Are you still a hostage… or have you been rescued? How proudly are you walking today?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: