Daily Devotional for July 4, 2010

Psalm 37:3
Trust the LORD and live right! The land will be yours, and you will be safe.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I wonder if our forefathers read this passage when they were signing the Declaration of Independence! Before you start pointing fingers and saying, “But we’re not always safe, and this land is not always ours,” let’s take a closer look at this Psalm. If we go back to Verse 1, it says “Don’t be annoyed by anyone who does wrong, and don’t envy them.” When you put this together with Verse 3 and “trust the LORD and live right,” we get a bigger picture. Rather than get bogged down in our aggravation, we must strive to make changes, and we must begin by “taking the high road.”

Have you ever been in a situation where you were felt you were unwelcome – and perhaps intimidated to the point where you were maybe even a little afraid? Perhaps you were in a crowd or in an unfamiliar area of a large city, and you felt like you stuck out like a sore thumb to the “natives.” It’s not a pleasant feeling, is it?! At that moment, we have to dig deep and trust God to keep us safe and tamp down our unsettled feelings.

I was shopping in Wal-Mart on Friday, and the place was a madhouse. Every check-out line was long and crowded… except for one self-check aisle. The register wasn’t closed or malfunctioning… but there were two somewhat scruffy looking men checking out there… and behind them were two tall, very dark black teenage boys. The boys were standing so far back in line that I honestly could not tell if they were in line behind the “scruffy” men or not. I assumed they were being polite and not crowding the man who was checking his groceries. But I did observe more than a couple of people cutting these boys a wide berth. They were looking at them as if to ask, “What are YOU doing here?” The boys were dressed nicely in almost head-to-toe Nike apparel. They were buying a swimsuit and some flip flops, and I saw people who appeared to be tourists in other lines glaring at them, in what I interpreted as, “Surely you are not going to swim in the lake we drove here to enjoy, are you?!” It was disgusting.

I touched the arm of one of the young men and asked, “Are you in line to check out?” He said he was, and I quickly moved in line behind him. The other boy needed help getting his debit card to work properly, and I offered some suggestions, since I was familiar with this register and know it is cantankerous on a good day. The young man was very grateful and thanked me profusely for helping him.

Over lunch, I told my husband about this, and I said, “Those boys could not have helped but feel the glares of others. They must think this is the most hateful place.” He replied something to the effect of… “Yes, but one nice lady helped them.” That took me aback… because I had not considered my actions anything but the right thing to do. Since when did this become just “our” land? Are we so unloving and sinful that we would make anyone feel unwelcome – much less frightened – in our community… particularly a young person? I was reminded all too poignantly that many in our own country still do not feel safe, or welcome. I pray that their faith is strong, and that they truly do trust in God to help them “take the high road” and live right, believing that God will do the rest.

Meanwhile, we must pray that, on this day of all days, people throughout our nation humble themselves before God and ask forgiveness for times when they have not recognized the equality of their fellow countrymen and women. We must ask God to help us all to be more embracing and less judgmental… and to celebrate the victory of our Declaration of Independence and the subsequent tenets of freedom on which this country was founded. In our Pledge of Allegiance, we vow to strive for “liberty and justice for all,” and that begins with something as seemingly insignificant as dropping the attitudes towards others in our local Wal-Mart.

I certainly don’t envy those who gave the ugly stares, and I’m working on overcoming my annoyance with them. But at the same time, I am praying that God works in their hearts to bring about change… and that He strengthens those who are mistreated, if only with unkind stares. We are so blessed… not only to live in America… but to be called God’s children. It’s time we honored Him and our country by behaving better. I can’t think of a more perfect day to start than this one. Happy Birthday, America… may God bless and strengthen you and your people… and may He always keep us safe.

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: