Daily Devotional for July 30, 2010

1 Peter 1:19
You were rescued by the precious blood of Christ, that spotless and innocent lamb.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Recently, my mother-in-law found a very dirty baby bib in a box of linens she bought at an estate sale. She tried to clean it with the detergents and bleaching agents she had at home. Since the bib was really cute, she asked my husband to bring it home to me, saying, “There is probably nothing she can do with it, but it’s worth a try.” I soaked it in Oxi-clean, then bleached it, and – voila! – all of the stains came out of the bib, and we have a picture of Timothy wearing it as proof!

My mother-in-law was amazed and pleased. She said, “How did you do that?” When I told her what I had used, she said, “I tried that, but it didn’t work.” We decided she had not used a strong enough concentration of the cleaning agent … a heavy-duty soaking had done the trick. I often have to do this to our white shirts, because I inevitably spill something on mine or rub against something dirty. I love to wear a white shirt, but I’m not very good at keeping them neat and clean. I don’t know how some people manage to wear a white shirt all day and keep it looking crisp, clean, and unwrinkled.

But I do know about Jesus! I know that His blood is better than the big containers of powdered Oxi-clean that sit in my laundry room aside a jug of bleach. I know that Jesus’ blood is more powerful than the best laundry detergent. I know that, Spiritually, I can wear a white shirt every day of the year if I want, because Jesus has washed it, starched and ironed it, and made it spotless! Occasionally, I still spill something on my “Spiritual white shirt,” but I never have to worry about it coming clean again. I have Jesus watching over me, and He sets me back on my feet and gives me another chance.

I think sometimes we are like the bib … we try to remove our sin, but we are using the wrong detergent – or the wrong strength. We are often trying to do things our way, by ourselves, when what we really need is Jesus! We have been rescued by the most powerful “Cleaning Agent” in the universe. Why would we ever use anything else? With Jesus, we can wear white every single day, boldly and with confidence! What is in your “Spiritual closet?” How clean are you “clothes” these days? When you get a stain, do you know where to turn to remove it? Have you been rescued by the precious blood of Christ … the spotless and innocent lamb?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: