Daily Devotional for March 27, 2012

John 14:18-20
I will not leave you orphaned. I'm coming back. In just a little while the world will no longer see me, but you're going to see me because I am alive and you're about to come alive. At that moment you will know absolutely that I'm in my Father, and you're in me, and I'm in you.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Years ago when I was a kindergarten teacher, my husband and I would talk on the phone more than once during the summer months when school was not in session. He would call me on his breaks, just to see how I was doing. This was nearly 30 years ago… before cell phones came along. During school hours, I did not usually get a break that coincided with his, so we were pretty well unable to communicate throughout the day. One day shortly before my summer break ended, we were talking, and my husband said, “When you go back to work, I’m going to miss being able to call you during the day.” Just knowing I was at home… and available… and that he could call me any time of day was important – to both of us.

Sometimes, I think we forget that Jesus is always with us. We may even begin to feel isolated and lonely, when in truth, He is always available. We can call on Jesus any time. This should give us tremendous comfort – and confidence. We never have to feel anxious or fearful… because Jesus goes with us everywhere. We don’t have to worry about our decisions… we can ask Jesus for help and guidance any time. We can face any challenge or obstacle... all we have to do is call on Jesus for wisdom and protection!

When we keep Jesus in our heart, we are never alone. And the best part is that we don’t even need a work break or a telephone to contact Him! We can call on Jesus with all of our questions and concerns… or even simply to say, “Hi!” - or to thank Him for loving us and to tell Him that we love Him, too! The question is… do we? Are you in constant contact with Jesus… or are there hours in the day where you “go it alone”… and treat Him as if you are unavailable? Have you truly given Jesus a place in your heart… and recognized His constant presence there? Isn’t it time to do exactly this… and never be alone again?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: