Daily Devotional for March 1, 2012

Luke 16:10-12
Anyone who can be trusted in little matters can also be trusted in important matters. But anyone who is dishonest in little matters will be dishonest in important matters. If you cannot be trusted with this wicked wealth, who will trust you with true wealth? And if you cannot be trusted with what belongs to someone else, who will give you something that will be your own?

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

When Timothy was staying with us, I tried to be very careful to always keep my promises. Some would argue that a two-year-old cannot remember that I said last week I would pick him up on Saturday… or that I told him I would take him to a birthday party, but someone else ended up taking him. But I believe that it’s more about us keeping our word – even to little children who might not remember – than whether what we promised is truly important. This scripture gets it so right… if we can’t be trusted in the little things, how can we ever be trusted with really important stuff?!

A story was recently shared with me about a pastor who had a church member who was hospitalized in another town – but the pastor had been told she was not seriously ill. He had made several trips already that week to the hospital to visit other patients, so he told himself, “I’m tired…she’s not seriously ill, and it’s such a long trip… I’ll catch her next time.” In truth, the woman was very ill. When the pastor finally visited her, he asked forgiveness and apologized. The woman told him, “I will forgive you… but I’ll never forget.” And subsequently, she and her family stopped coming to that particular church.

Now this is a drastic illustration… and you might argue that the woman was at fault for being too sensitive. But this does clearly indicate that little things matter… a visit, hug, or handshake… a kind word (written or spoken)… a kept promise… personal attention to small details… respect for others and their property… acting responsibly and being accountable. If we cannot be faithful in the little things, why on earth should God or anybody else ever trust us with more?

In my notes, I have written that “Judgment day will be a day to judge how well you did your assignment. The only thing that matters is, ‘Am I doing the thing that God called me to do?’” What is God calling you to do today… large and small? What little things has He asked of you? Have you been faithful in these? Are you ready to accept larger assignments? Are you worthy of the responsibility that these carry? Do you keep your promises?

The key to getting closer to God lies in faithfulness - in accomplishing the bigger things…and more importantly, the littlest matters. How close are you to God these days? Can He trust you with any assignment… regardless of the size?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: