Daily Devotional for March 5, 2012

Romans 8:22-25
We know that all creation is still groaning and is in pain, like a woman about to give birth. The Spirit makes us sure about what we will be in the future. But now we groan silently, while we wait for God to show that we are his children. This means that our bodies will also be set free. And this hope is what saves us. But if we already have what we hope for, there is no need to keep on hoping. However, we hope for something we have not yet seen, and we patiently wait for it.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I don’t know about you, but sometimes I begin to wonder why it is taking God so long to answer many of my prayers. I mentioned a few weeks ago that some of the names and concerns in my prayer journal are the same ones that have been on “the list” for decades! I keep hoping that things will change… that I will see evidence of God’s hand in these lives and circumstances. But I admit… sometimes it is hard to remain patient.

This passage reminds me that God’s answers sometimes involve pain and struggle. If God answered all of my prayers immediately, according to my desires, would I keep asking? If I saw His big picture clearly all at once and everything was easy as pie, would I be able to handle it? If I no longer had the promise of blessings and abundance yet to come, would I lose interest and focus? Without goals and hopes in the LORD, would I drift away from Him and become too comfortable in my own abilities?

I am no longer so much surprised by God as I am impressed! He continues to amaze and bless me in abundance every day. And the more I hope for in Him, the bigger my faith grows. Ultimately, God will answer many of my prayers, according to His will - not mine. And in the end, my hope in Him will be fulfilled when He calls me to heaven for all eternity.

Are you patiently anticipating God’s next move in your life? Do you hope for things not seen… and trust that God is always at work, even when we cannot see direct results? The waiting is hard… but it’s not killing me. In fact, waiting on God… staying hopeful and faithful… is making me stronger. I am growing and expanding in my faith every day, and someday God will give birth to great things as a result. How big are your hopes and dreams in the LORD these days?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: