Daily Devotional for March 7, 2012

Romans 15:1-6
Those of us who are strong and able in the faith need to step in and lend a hand to those who falter, and not just do what is most convenient for us. Strength is for service, not status. Each one of us needs to look after the good of the people around us, asking ourselves, "How can I help?”

That's exactly what Jesus did. He didn't make it easy for himself by avoiding people's troubles, but waded right in and helped out. "I took on the troubles of the troubled," is the way Scripture puts it. Even if it was written in Scripture long ago, you can be sure it's written for us. God wants the combination of his steady, constant calling and warm, personal counsel in Scripture to come to characterize us, keeping us alert for whatever he will do next. May our dependably steady and warmly personal God develop maturity in you so that you get along with each other as well as Jesus gets along with us all. Then we'll be a choir—not our voices only, but our very lives singing in harmony in a stunning anthem to the God and Father of our Master Jesus!

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

I grew up in an atmosphere of “seeing after” others. It was common to “take a dish” when someone died or got sick. I’ve seen my grandmother make everything from vegetable soup to a pan of hot rolls to a full meal for others who were going through a rough patch. I’ve heard her talk about going to someone’s home and taking care of them and their family when they were sick and in need. My late cousin Eddie was known for the smoked or baked hams he delivered to families who had suffered a loss. I remember how a dear neighbor brought a delicious meal to the home of my husband’s parents the night my father-in-law died.

As important as food and nurture are when we are in need, human contact and support are equally vital. I will never forget the half dozen or more ladies who came from my parents’ church and organized shifts to prepare meals and run my mom’s kitchen and household when my dad and brother died. It seemed as if there was someone there to organize everything from the morning breakfast to mopping the floors before bedtime – for almost a week! I can still picture a dear friend who lay across a bed with my grandmother and consoled her after my dad – her only son – had died. I still recall the weekly visits of a certain pastor in our town when my dad and brother were ill. Neither of them were members of his congregation… yet, he found time to visit and offer support to all of us.

I know as surely as I am writing this devotional that there are people in my community – and in my own circle of family and friends – who are in need of help, strength and encouragement today… the kind that I can offer. And I am sure that it is the same for you. Who is sick? Who has been injured? Who has suffered the loss of a loved one, a job, a relationship, their health, a home, and more? Who is moving or working on a project that could use a couple of extra hands and feet? Where are you able to offer God’s love and a little hope to someone who might need it? Can you “take a dish” and offer physical sustenance? Can you offer a hug, write a note of encouragement, or share a conversation to let someone know that you care? Can you give someone a ride, care for a pet, or babysit for a few hours?

I guarantee you, as much as people notice when you help them, they also notice when you don’t. And we can all come up with dozens of excuses for not coming to the aid of those around us who are in need – even down to our own family members. The tasks are not always pleasant. It’s often downright difficult. Knowing what to say and do takes prayer… and practice!

Meeting the needs of others may not come as easily for you as it seems to for some… but that doesn’t give you a “free pass.” God will equip you with exactly what you need to say and do… but you have to get up and get going. You have to be willing to take a risk and “take on the troubles of the troubled” in Jesus’ name.

Who will you reach out to this day? Where will you lend a hand… offer God’s hope… surrender yourself and do what is less than convenient? I can assure you already that you will never regret it. You will find that in blessing others in God’s name, you always get the bigger blessing. Are you ready to truly count for God? Are you ready to serve Him and exercise your “faith muscle?” Where will you “wade in” and make a difference today?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: