Daily Devotional for January 15, 2013

Psalm 18:32-34
God arms me with strength, and he makes my way perfect.

He makes me as surefooted as a deer, He trains my hands for battle; he strengthens my arm to draw a bronze bow.

Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Since I was a very small child, I have been able to play the piano “by ear.” This means that if I hear a song once or twice, I can play it – or at least parts of it – from memory. Because I can play by ear, I can jump in on jam sessions, recall a song I heard in a movie or on the radio – then sit down at the piano, and play a few measures, or someone who hums a few bars of a tune and says, “Can you play this one?”.

Honestly, until I was an adult, I truly thought every musician could play by ear – at least to some degree. I did not realize what a strength this is musically. But as with any “muscle,” I can tell you that this “natural ability” requires bolstering. So all of the hours my sister and I sat in child-sized rocking chairs behind my mother as she taught piano lessons - marking up old music books in an imitation of her - we were strengthening and developing our musical abilities. When we sat for hours at the piano as teenagers, playing and singing the latest tunes from the radio, we were building our “musical muscle.”

Additionally, we were guided by an incredibly gifted piano teacher named Barbara Little, who taught us not only to play with technical accuracy – but more importantly, to actually “feel” the music and give it life. She trained our hands and strengthened our arms... and accepted nothing less than our very best.

As I read this passage today, I thought of all the ways God strengthens and trains us for our daily living. This is an incredible gift… and some of us have decided that we have “natural ability” and can manage on our own. The truth is… we need His instruction and guidance. We need the honing of our proficiencies that can only come from God. We accomplish nothing on our own… God’s strength and training is necessary in order for us to do our very best.

I am grateful for the gifts that God has given me – including the ability to “play by ear.” I am even more grateful that He continues to strengthen and train me in all areas of life… from the seemingly insignificant tasks to my most daunting challenges. I am able to overcome obstacles, become more capable, and learn new things through the strength of God.

You have just as many strengths and abilities as the next guy… maybe more! God has equipped each of us with the potential to be everything He planned for us… if only we will tap into His “strength training.” Who is your Personal Trainer today? Who gives you strength and teaches you new skills? Are you doing all you can to build your “muscles” and give your very best at all times? Isn’t this a great day to begin?

©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: