Daily Devotional for January 22, 2013

Matthew 5:43-47
“You’re familiar with the old written law, ‘Love your friend,’ and its unwritten companion, ‘Hate your enemy.’ I’m challenging that. I’m telling you to love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer, for then you are working out of your true selves, your God-created selves. This is what God does. He gives his best—the sun to warm and the rain to nourish—to everyone, regardless: the good and bad, the nice and nasty. If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus? Anybody can do that. If you simply say hello to those who greet you, do you expect a medal? Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Yesterday, we inaugurated Barack Obama for a second term as our 44th President of the United States. During the inauguration ceremonies, Myrlie Evers-Williams delivered an invocation. On June 12, 1963, Myrlie Evers-Williams’ then husband, Medgar Evers, was gunned down on the front lawn of their Mississippi home. Myrlie and her three children were inside when a sniper shot Medgar in the back as he got out of his car and walked toward the house. The bullet ricocheted and entered the home, as the children dove for cover. Myrlie ran outside to attend to her dying husband. Medgar died less than an hour later at a local hospital.

After her husband’s murder, Myrlie Evers continued to fight for civil rights, and she lodged a more-than-30-year battle to bring her husband’s killer to justice. She went back to college and got a degree in sociology, and she worked diligently for the NAACP. She also co-wrote For Us, the Living, a book that chronicled the life and work of her civil-rights-activist husband, Medgar.

I am deeply touched by the story of Medgar and Myrlie Evers. They lived with such conviction and concern for the rights of men and women who felt powerless to speak out themselves. The image of this daddy lying in his own front yard, bleeding to death while his small children cowered inside in complete terror brings tears to my eyes. Yet Myrlie Evers got up and got going… and she let her enemies bring out the best in her… not the worst.

I think of people who rub me the wrong way… those who get on my last nerve and really are unpleasant to be around… and I am ashamed of my attitude toward them. This scripture passage is a really hard one for me. I hear myself saying, “But, God…! Do you know how irritating this person is? Do you know what he/she has said/done to me or someone I care about? Do you know how unkind and unloving this individual is… the ugly, distasteful way he/she treats others and behaves in general?” And I hear God, through this scripture, saying… “Love him/her anyway. I love you, don’t I? You’re not so nice yourself on any given day. Yet I continue to meet your needs. Should I not offer the same to this person? Love them anyway.”

We have no time to waste. Life is short, and the first thing you know, that person you treated poorly or failed to love out of your true self… to pray for and be kind to even when it was truly a challenge… will be gone. At the end of the day, you want to be able to say, “That person gave me a hard time or was really difficult to love… but I did it anyway. With God’s strength behind me, and because He loves even me, I chose to love the unlovable in His name.” Serve the LORD obediently... and with no regrets.

Today is a good day to take inventory. Look around at the people you encounter and ask yourself who is lovable… and who isn’t. Are you treating all of these people equally? Are you merely offering run-of-the-mill-sinner lip service to those you find difficult to love – or to even be around? Isn’t it time to put your Christian faith and love into action… to show them kindness beyond what you feel they deserve? My prayer is that we will never have to face challenges on the same scale as Myrlie Evers-Williams… but that we will live with the same courage and conviction. I pray that we will love our enemies and always give our best in the name of Jesus. He gave us the ultimate example of how to love the unlovely. How well have you demonstrated His lesson?

©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: