Daily Devotional for January 17, 2013

Psalm 27:1
You, Lord, are the light that keeps me safe.
         I am not afraid of anyone.
You protect me, and I have no fears.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Timothy and I were driving home, and he said, “I had a bad dream at Paw-Paw’s. A bear was after me.” We talked about how dreams are scary, but they can’t really hurt us… how grownups can protect children and keep them safe from scary things. And I said, “If I was scared, you would protect me… right?” Timothy said, “I can’t protect YOU… you’re BIG!” So I asked him what he would do if his little sister, Zola, was scared. He said, “I would hug her and protect her and keep her safe!” I hope this big brother remembers his vow as he gets older!

Not all of us have an older brother or sister… or anyone who is “bigger” that we trust to protect us. But each and every one of us can call on Jesus. We can rely on His strength and protection. He will keep us safe… He will calm our fears.

I have no doubt that it comforts little children greatly to think that they can trust their parents and other adults to allay their fears and keep them safe. We all need a “parental figure” we can turn to when the chips are down. But more importantly, we need to fully comprehend the strength of God… how HE protects us and keeps us safe… how He can calm our fears… how He sent Jesus Christ to be the light of the world and save us from all “darkness.” And we need to put our trust in our Heavenly Father to do exactly this for us – each and every day.

Whether you are three and a half, twenty-three, or well into your eighties or nineties, you know that the dark can be a scary place… and nightmares are no fun for anyone! Isn’t it wonderful to know that we have the light of Jesus to keep us safe in all situations… to protect us and remove our fears? Are you trusting Him to do this in your life? Shouldn’t you?

©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: