Daily Devotional for January 26, 2013

Matthew 6:14-15
“In prayer there is a connection between what God does and what you do. You can’t get forgiveness from God, for instance, without also forgiving others. If you refuse to do your part, you cut yourself off from God’s part.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

“Hello, God! It’s me again. I really made a big mess of things this time! Can you please help me? I so need your forgiveness. I promise… I’ve learned my lesson. If you will please forgive me, I will do better… I truly will.”

“So… you’re ready to forgive Paul for that thing he said about you to your friends?”

“Well…um… not exactly. That was a terrible, horrible thing to say about me. What he said was not true… and it damaged my reputation. I lost a lot of friends because of him… and it nearly cost me my job!”

“Are you ready to stop posting negative, derogatory comments and images on Facebook about other people and let go of your beef with those whose views or lifestyles have offended you?”

“Well now really, LORD… I have to stand up for my beliefs, don’t I? If we don’t speak out, the ‘other guy’ will trample all over us! I just need You to forgive ME so I can get back on track here.”

“Are you at least ready to show grace, mercy and forgiveness to your family and friends for minor irritations, rather than griping and grumbling and making them pay for aggravating you… even when they don’t know what they did?”

“You know, LORD…I really just came to you today with a need to be forgiven for this thing I’ve done. It’s weighing on me, and I honestly can’t move forward until You do. These other things are not the issue.”

“Oh, but they ARE! I didn’t send my only Son to die on the cross for your sins so that you could treat others however you pleased. Because of His blood and sacrifice, your sins can be forgiven. But by acceptance of this gift of salvation, you also accepted the call to serve as Jesus’ disciple… to allow Him to operate in and through you and minister to others in His name. This means, as He forgave you… now YOU must forgive others. Before I can do anything more for you, I’m going to have to see some proof that you are truly sincere about your discipleship.”

“Does this mean that you won’t love me if I don’t forgive others?”

“I will always love you. Nothing can separate you from my love. But that doesn’t mean that I am always pleased with you. Do you see the difference? When you do your best to follow the commandments of Jesus and become more like Him… I am pleased. It’s your effort and your obedience that I seek. I know you won’t get it right every time… but if you genuinely try to follow the teachings of Jesus… if you offer forgiveness, grace, mercy and love to others in His name – even when it doesn’t feel good – I am satisfied.”

“So let me get this straight… in order to ask for your forgiveness, I must be willing to forgive others… right? You will always love me… and as long as I do my best to humbly serve You and follow Your commandments, you will be pleased with my efforts…correct? I ask You to help me forgive these who have offended me in some way… will you then forgive ME for my mistakes and sins?”

“Now you get it! I will strengthen you and give you sufficient grace – for yourself AND for those who have hurt you or offended you in some way. All you have to do is ask… I am always here. It’s good to hear from you… call on me again soon! Now get busy with your day… as you have forgiven others, so have I forgiven you!”

©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: