Daily Devotional for January 30, 2013

Matthew 18:21-22
At that point Peter got up the nerve to ask, “Master, how many times do I forgive a brother or sister who hurts me? Seven?”

Jesus replied, “Seven! Hardly. Try seventy times seven.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

A few years ago, I backed my car out of a parking spot one afternoon… and promptly hit the back of another car that had just pulled into a slot directly behind me. I never saw the other car until I heard the awful crash. The only damage was a broken tail light on that car…no one was hurt. However, my grandmother was a passenger in my car, and she made sure I knew that I was making her late for her beauty shop appointment… and that she surely hoped I had not hurt my husband’s car! Let’s just say she was less than forgiving that I had inconvenienced everyone!

As it turns out, the car I hit was a foreign model, and that “little tail light” cost $1600 to repair. My insurance agent called with the estimate from the body shop, and my heart sank. However, she said, “Since you have a clean driving record and have never had an accident before, this is considered a ‘forgiven one.’ It will not count against your deductible. We’ll take care of everything.” I was more relieved than I can put into words. And I have been incredibly careful since then, because 1) I do not want to have another accident; and 2) there are no second “forgiven ones” with my insurance company!

Aren’t you glad that Jesus doesn’t berate us about the ways we inconvenience Him? Aren’t you thrilled to know that Jesus does not limit His forgiveness to one offense? Don’t you think that we should forgive others as Jesus forgives us? In fact, He has told us that we must forgive seventy times seven! It’s pretty clear to me that we are not supposed to impose a forgiveness quota on others!

The next time you are irritated with someone and tempted to say, “That’s it! I’m done for good!” - consider Jesus’ words to Peter. If you continue reading in Matthew 18, you will see that Jesus makes it clear that we cannot be unforgiving toward others and expect God to forgive us. Furthermore, your “forgiveness” cannot be mere lip service. Jesus tells us to forgive from the heart. I know this is really hard… and God knows this, too. But nobody said the life of a Christian was easy!

Insurance companies may not forgive seventy times seven… but Christian discipleship is nothing like State Farm, Allstate, Geico or Aflac! We are given much by our Heavenly Father. When it comes to how we treat others, much is expected in return. God will strengthen you and give you the courage - and the capacity to forgive over and again, if only you will call on Him. Who needs to be a “forgiven one” in your circle today?

©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: