Daily Devotional for January 20, 2013

Matthew 5:11-12
“Not only that—count yourselves blessed every time people put you down or throw you out or speak lies about you to discredit me. What it means is that the truth is too close for comfort and they are uncomfortable. You can be glad when that happens—give a cheer, even!—for though they don’t like it, I do! And all heaven applauds. And know that you are in good company. My prophets and witnesses have always gotten into this kind of trouble.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

I once worked for someone who did not see eye to eye with me about some aspects of a particular project. Despite her best efforts to convince me that I was wrong and she was right, I finally told her that we would have to respectfully agree to disagree. She killed the project. I was momentarily wounded by her reaction. But in the long run, it didn’t hurt me as deeply as she had anticipated. In fact, a series of blessings followed that “course-changer,” and I’ve never looked back. There was a moral dilemma at play here… I could compromise my values and opinions – and my loyalty to my community at large - and fall into her camp, or I could “suffer the consequences.” I refused to budge.

Was this a hard decision? Maybe in some ways. Do I regret it? Not in the least! Have I seen the hand of God in many circumstances because of the choice I made? You betcha! Have I forgiven this person? Absolutely! To do anything else would be contrary to everything I believe and all that God teaches.

Here’s the deal…we are not the judge and jury. It’s not up to us to decide who is punished… or where or how. We are called to love others as we love ourselves… and that means to forgive them when they ridicule us or cause us pain in any form. Yes, your faith may cost you a job, a significant other, or any friends all. Yes, your allegiance to God could very well cost your very life. But what is the alternative? It’s certainly nothing I wish to consider… do you?

Read this scripture passage again… count your blessings every time people put you down, throw you out or speak lies about you because you are doing what God has told you to do. If you can, be glad when this happens. I know this is a tall order… but try to find joy in this “suffering.” And hear the applause of Heaven. Know that God is saying, “He/she passed the test with flying colors!” Realize that you are not the first… nor will you be the last… to be treated this way. And most importantly, your actions have pleased God. Isn’t that really all that matters?

Stand ready today to be who and what God called you to be… at all times… regardless of how others react or treat you. Be willing to step up and step out in His name, despite the cost. Prepare to hear the roar of Heaven as your grace, mercy, faithfulness and forgiveness in the name of Jesus are commended. Bask in the confidence that you have pleased the only One who really matters… His rewards blessings are the ultimate compensation.

©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: