Daily Devotional for August 16, 2014

Luke 6:27-37
“Listen, all of you. Love your enemies. Do good to those who hate you. Pray for the happiness of those who curse you; implore God’s blessing on those who hurt you.

“If someone slaps you on one cheek, let him slap the other too! If someone demands your coat, give him your shirt besides. Give what you have to anyone who asks you for it; and when things are taken away from you, don’t worry about getting them back. Treat others as you want them to treat you.

“Do you think you deserve credit for merely loving those who love you? Even the godless do that! And if you do good only to those who do you good—is that so wonderful? Even sinners do that much! And if you lend money only to those who can repay you, what good is that? Even the most wicked will lend to their own kind for full return!

“Love your enemies! Do good to them! Lend to them! And don’t be concerned about the fact that they won’t repay. Then your reward from heaven will be very great, and you will truly be acting as sons of God: for he is kind to the unthankful and to those who are very wicked.

“Try to show as much compassion as your Father does.

“Never criticize or condemn—or it will all come back on you. Go easy on others; then they will do the same for you.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Today marks another milestone for Greg and me.  We have officially been married for FORTY YEARS!  I know!  We can’t believe it, either!  We are both far too young to have been married so long (wink, wink!) How have we done it?  Any solid, lasting relationship takes energy and effort...and a good dose of grace and mercy (God’s and ours toward each other) - and we’ve had both!

As I read this passage today and thought about our lives together, I noted how this passage has served us well as something of a road map for success in our relationship.  Let me start right away by saying that I don’t think either of us has considered the other an “enemy” (at least never for more than a couple of minutes)!  But there is some good “meat” here for all of us – in all kinds of relationships.  So let’s roll up our sleeves and get right to it!

In the course of 40 years or more together – as friends, partners, or even business associates and family members - feelings will be hurt.  Things will be said and done that shouldn’t be. Grace, mercy, forgiveness...and plenty of prayer for the other guy truly can make a difference!

“Treat others as you want them to treat you” has somewhat become our “mantra”.  We don’t play games...we don’t keep score...we share everything from general information (no secrets!) to personal victories and disappointments to our “stuff”.  We don’t compete or try to keep up with each other in acquisitions of any sort.  We’ve never done the “he got a boat, so I get a diamond” thing – or even “she gets to do such fun things at work and I’m stuck in this crummy job”. 

We genuinely enjoy each other’s company, support each other in all things, and share our joys, sorrows, and so much more. We have each other’s back!  And we show each other genuine respect and care...even on the rare day when we don’t much feel like it.  We choose our words carefully and try very hard not to say something that will be considered criticism or condemnation.

My mother always says that “Love is an action, not a feeling.”  While I “feel” madly in love with Greg – even more so with every day that passes - I also love him for the many “actions” he performs to demonstrate his care and devotion.  I love how he thoughtfully and carefully manages our home, yard, and business affairs.  I love how he has embraced my family...especially Timothy, Zola and Nathan.  How many grown men do you know who will wear a Burger King® crown through Sunday lunch in a restaurant filled with customers...and act like it’s the most normal thing in the world?  And I love how he loves and cares for his own family...especially his mother.  I know that he prays over each one of our family members and truly trusts God for their care...and that means the world to me.

Greg has stood by me during the illnesses and deaths of countless relatives...particularly my brother, dad, and my Mam-ma Polly.  He sat silently with me for hours and days at their bedsides...he filled in the gaps when I had to be away for doctor visits, hospital stays and more...and he held me gently when I cried and grieved – and truly made me feel like everything would be okay.  He always assures me that there is nothing we cannot face together.  And when I start to doubt – myself or my circumstances – he reminds me of my faith and helps me find my footing once again!  In short, he puts up with me...and I love him for that! 

I could write 40 pages, but it would all add up to this...I know that God chose us for each other.  I know that He has orchestrated many events of our lives that have all led us to this day.  I know that we both understand how vital His role was in our getting here in one piece!  And we both know that regardless of how many more years we have together on this earth, this is not the end for us!  In large part, I believe that is because we have trusted God’s word and will for our lives...and we’ve remembered to treat each other as we wish to be treated. Liberal applications of grace and mercy haven’t hurt, either!

Whatever relationships you find yourself in today...marriage, friendships, family bonds, acquaintances, church “families” and more...study God’s words in Luke 6.  Learn to operate with grace, mercy, and compassion for others...avoid criticism, condemnation, gossip, and unkindness. Truly strive to treat others as you wish to be treated.  We give God all the glory for what He has done in and through us...and we are excited about what lies ahead. 

Who is in charge of your future? Do you “go easy on others” in your daily living?  How you answer makes all the difference in the success of your relationships, your discipleship, and your daily living.  Exercising God’s compassion, grace and mercy works...and we’re living proof!  Are you?


©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: