Daily Devotional for August 25, 2014

Matthew 5:43-47
“You’re familiar with the old written law, ‘Love your friend,’ and its unwritten companion, ‘Hate your enemy.’ I’m challenging that. I’m telling you to love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer, for then you are working out of your true selves, your God-created selves. This is what God does. He gives his best—the sun to warm and the rain to nourish—to everyone, regardless: the good and bad, the nice and nasty. If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus? Anybody can do that. If you simply say hello to those who greet you, do you expect a medal? Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

A friend recently shared with me that someone was spreading untruths about her.  These were intended to smear her character and sully her reputation.  And I am sure that people who don’t truly know this person might actually be taken in by such lies.  My friend related how she was so angry...how her “gut reaction” was to conjure up thoughts of retaliation.  I get that...I really do.  I told her that I have a tendency to launch right into name calling – if only in the secrecy of my own home!

In her book,
The Best Yes*, author Lysa TerKeurst shares an incident where she was so angry with her husband that “...I may or may not have called him a name, one that you can actually find in the Bible that starts with an A and ends in an S. Three letters. Only I didn’t mean it in the biblical sense. If you know what I mean.”

Haven’t we all been there?  And honestly, didn’t this feeling drain you of a lot of energy?  My friend said that when she opened her e-mail messages, she found one of my devotionals that spoke of forgiveness and mercy, and she was challenged to channel her “angry energy” in a different direction.  That’s a big challenge! And I’ll admit...there are moments when I am right there with you - and Lysa TerKeurst - and a whole lot of other people!

Here’s the thing. Satan is the only winner in this. Your efforts to operate in forgiveness and mercy do not breed more lies and abuses or mistreatment from others...although it may seem that this is the case. You are not giving these people license to run unchecked over you and others. Instead, you are saying, “With God, all things are possible...including this.”  You are declaring (if only to yourself) that God has instilled in you the power and courage to be your best self...to reflect Him at all times and in all ways.  You are demonstrating your faith and honoring your Christian discipleship.

Is this easy?  No way...especially not at first.  There will be times when we are so beaten down by a circumstance or another human being that we feel like there is no love left in us.  There have even been a couple of times in my life where I was so completely drained and devastated that I couldn’t even pray for a while...I didn’t know what to say or how to even begin.  So you know what I did?  I just sat and opened my heart to God and let Him fill me.  And that is exactly what He did! 

When you are at a point where you don’t know what to do...where to turn...how to even begin to call on God for help...stop and simply say, “Come, Lord Jesus!”  Let Him handle the details.  Allow the balm of His healing touch to wash over you and fill the nooks and crannies...and remove all traces of animosity, anger, hatred, and frustration.  When you begin to get your bearings again, start to pray for the person(s) or situation that has you so unsettled.  It is very hard to operate in anything but love for something or someone for whom you are praying!

Today, my challenge for each of us is to pick out one “enemy”...one person or situation toward which we have animosity, unsettled feelings, anger, and/or a desire for revenge or retaliation – or maybe just a tiny bit of ill will. Maybe you have at least had the thought that “I’d like for him/her to suffer just a little for this.”  Now...start to pray. Ask God to fill you with love and mercy...compassion, kindness and forgiveness. Call on God to channel your energy in a positive direction and to enable you to rise above these feelings...to make you the honorable representative of Jesus that He has called you to be.

We in no way excuse others’ sins...or condone their abusive and dishonest behaviors or their mistreatment of us – or anyone else.  But let’s take ourselves out of the equation.  Let’s “let go and let God” when we begin to pray over these circumstances and to allow Him to handle things. And in doing this, we will open ourselves to God’s best...for all parties.  Won’t you whisper, “Come, Lord Jesus”?  How – and where – will you allow Him to give you His best today? 


©2014 Debbie Robus

*The Best Yes - ©2014 by TerKeurst Foundation – published by Nelson Books.  Available at Walmart and other major retailers.  www.thebestyes.com #TheBestYes

No comments: