Daily Devotional for August 6, 2014

Isaiah 1:18
Come, let’s talk this over, says the Lord; no matter how deep the stain of your sins, I can take it out and make you as clean as freshly fallen snow. Even if you are stained as red as crimson, I can make you white as wool!

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

My niece, Jasmine, has referred to me as something of the “Queen of Stain Removal”.  I’ll admit...I have had some pretty major success at removing stubborn stains on everything from vintage linens to baby clothing to vintage glassware and silver.  There have been a few stubborn spots that just would not bow...but often, I find a way to camouflage these and still use the item.  Sometimes the stains have to be cut away...but rarely do I have to totally give up on a piece because of such blemishes. 

Honestly, I enjoy the challenge.  I get a kick out of restoring a tarnished item to its former glory – or at least something that is more than passable.  I get immense satisfaction from the “rescue”.  So it is easy for me to see what pleasure it gives Jesus to be able to restore us.  Trust me, His methods of stain removal are failsafe.  There is absolutely NO stain of sin that He cannot remove...EVER!  When I think about how delighted I am when a garment comes out of the wash clean and “fresh as the fallen snow,” I totally “get” how thrilled Jesus is when He makes us “white as wool”.

More importantly, I am humbled and grateful for the tremendous price that Jesus paid for my “stain removal”.  I know that I often spend a lot of time and energy on removing a mark or blemish from something.  But I know that Jesus spent much more to remove my sins...He shed His very blood on the cross for me.  He suffered agony and anguish, brutality and horrific insults, just to take out my sinful stains and restore me.  There is no way I can compare to this...no way I would ever even want to try.  I am incredibly grateful and humbled that He did this for me.

I love how this translation portrays Jesus as a trusted friend who says, “Come...let’s talk this over...I can fix that for you...I can get that stain out and make you good as new again!”  That’s an offer I cannot refuse...what about you?


©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: