Daily Devotional for August 30, 2014

Philippians 3:12-16
I don’t mean to say I am perfect. I haven’t learned all I should even yet, but I keep working toward that day when I will finally be all that Christ saved me for and wants me to be.

No, dear brothers, I am still not all I should be, but I am bringing all my energies to bear on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God is calling us up to heaven because of what Christ Jesus did for us.

I hope all of you who are mature Christians will see eye-to-eye with me on these things, and if you disagree on some point, I believe that God will make it plain to you—if you fully obey the truth you have.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

In Feathers From My Nest*, author Beth Moore talks about how she woke up one morning and looked in the mirror, and someone had taken her neck and replaced it with a saggy, wrinkled one!  That same “person” gave her saggy, wrinkled knees, as well!  She humorously proceeds to describe aging and all that happens to us – and how we try our hardest to bring this to a screeching halt with all sorts of creams and procedures! 

At the same time, I’ve been reading some diaries and journals of our ancestors – both mine and Greg’s – and learning about the activities and circumstances that shaped their lives. Then I stumbled onto a Facebook page for my very dearest friend from college, who I have not spoken to in more than 35 years. All of this has culminated in something of a “trip down Memory Lane” and a serious reflection on where I am – and how I got here!

A flood of thoughts and memories filled my head as I thought about our lives and how we grow and change. The things that seemed so important...the goals that were so lofty when we were teenagers and young adults...the near-obsession some of us had with our outward image and appearance...all have such a different implication and/or significance now. The old adage that...“hindsight is 20/20” and the Proverbs 31:30 reminder...”beauty fades away” take on even more meaning as we mature.  And as Beth Moore points out...”sooner or later, we’ll be looking good...new necks...new knees...no spot or wrinkle. That and Jesus, too?  Blessings all mine with ten thousand beside!”

So where does this fit in our “theme” of scriptures that speak to grace, mercy and forgiveness?  I’m glad you asked!  These days, I find myself in an interesting position. I am smack in the middle of “middle age”!  And from this vantage point, I can see what lies behind me...and to some degree, what lies ahead. I am blessed to know and love many truly beautiful women (and a few men) who are ahead of me on this journey...folks who have “been there and done that” – and not only survived but continue to grow and improve (in every sense of the word) with age.

I also have a birds-eye view of the lives of several people who are younger than I...to observe their daily living with my own “been there, done that” view.  There are times when I am swelled with pride at how they are growing and becoming more beautiful – inside and out ...and times when I wish I could say, “Let me save you some hassle and heartache.”  I am not in the same league as the Apostle Paul by a long shot...but I do think this was how he was feeling when he wrote this letter to the Philippians.

So here’s my grace-filled, merciful, forgiving message for today...a lot of what we think is important really isn’t. Our goals and desires are not all that different from those who preceded us...and a lot of us have not really paid attention and learned from both their successes and their mistakes. We have shining examples at every turn of people who have grown...and who have developed a life in Christ in a manner that has made all the difference in their personal lives.  Nobody gets it right all of the time...there was only one perfect human being - Jesus Christ.  But Paul is calling us to focus on Jesus...to keep our “eyes on the prize” of His salvation, blessings...and ultimately, Eternity in His presence.

If you are a young person reading this message, take a look around and find some older mentors who are demonstrating that they are focused on “pressing toward the mark” of an abundant, obedient life in Jesus Christ. Listen to them...learn from their mistakes and how they correct them.  Figure out what makes them “age” so beautifully...and pattern your own life after them. 

If you are an older person who has experienced the grace, mercy, patience and forgiveness of Jesus - and grown in your walk with Him - make yourself available to others who need your example. Be on the lookout for people to nurture and support in their own faith walk and growth.  Be merciful and kind toward those who seem to keep repeating the same mistakes over and again...offer them gentle encouragement and examples of how to step out of this rut and move forward.

If you find yourself where I am - smack in the middle...take advantage of your position, and offer encouragement and support to those on both sides.  Learn from and reassure those who are ahead of you...and share your blessings with those who follow.  Be the “light of Christ” you are called to be. Embrace the physical wrinkles and sags that chronicle your life’s journey. 

In the television show, “Brothers and Sisters,” actress Sally Field portrayed Nora Walker, the 60-something matriarch of a family fraught with issues of all kinds. Nora becomes concerned with her wrinkles.  A loved one points out to Nora that a facelift and rearranging her face will not change anything – unless she changes herself!  Nora decides to embrace her wrinkles, saying something to the effect of...“I earned every one of them.”  What do your “sags and wrinkles” say about you...or what WILL they say (if you are yet young and have not experienced this)?  Will you be beautiful and ageless because of your inner efforts to press forward with Jesus?  Or will you wear your life’s journey like a road map in a congested metropolitan area? 

Will you share the mercy and grace of Jesus with others as you grow...and encourage those who are just getting started?  Are you “straining to reach the end of the race and reach the prize” of heaven?  How are you “aging” in your walk with Jesus?  When others look at you, what – and WHO – do they see?


©2014 Debbie Robus

*Feathers From My Nest: A Mother’s Reflections ~ ©2005 by Beth Moore ~ Published by B & H Publishing Group – Nashville, Tennessee

No comments: