Daily Devotional for August 21, 2014

Matthew 18:21-22
Peter came up to the Lord and asked, “How many times should I forgive someone who does something wrong to me? Is seven times enough?”

Jesus answered:

Not just seven times, but seventy-seven times!

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I’ll be honest...I had a hard time committing to write a devo on this scripture passage today. Let’s just say I’m not much in a forgiving mood. I’ve no desire to forgive those who beheaded an American journalist in Syria.  I am lacking in forgiveness for those who are responsible for the strife in Ferguson, Missouri – and I truly am not even sure WHO the responsible parties are!  I’m not inclined to forgive those who abuse and mistreat other people or animals.  I even have a few “brothers and sisters” against whom I’m pretty comfortable holding onto a grudge.

But here’s the thing. I can’t have it both ways. I cannot be a disciple of Jesus – and expect HIM to forgive ME – and carry these resentments. Jesus has made it incredibly clear that unforgiveness is not optional. If I want to be His disciple...if I want HIS forgiveness, mercy and grace in my own life, I have to forgive others...all.of.them!

Before you groan and roll your eyes and say, “Good for you, but I just cannot do this!”...hear what else I have to tell you.  Forgiveness of others does not equal weakness...or an endorsement of the other person’s words and actions.  Forgiveness does not make you a doormat for others’ mistreatment and/or abuse.  Forgiveness can be – and often should be – offered from a safe distance.  We can offer forgiveness (if only in our own hearts), and take as many steps away from a situation as necessary in order to be free of further injury.  But we must release the ill feelings and ask God to help us offer genuine forgiveness.

Our willingness to forgive others represents surrender to God’s will rather than ours...a faithfulness that He is in control and will mete out perfect justice.  Our acts of forgiveness signal a desire on our part to release all feelings of animosity and disdain...heartache and disappointment...and say, “LORD, I’m trusting YOU to handle this...and I am releasing it to Your care.”  This frees us to focus on the work of serving God by loving others and ministering to them in His name. 

God’s will is for us to enjoy our lives as Christians...not to be saddled by the yoke of unforgiveness!  And here’s one other thing...our inability or unwillingness to forgive is a tool of the devil – one he really, really likes!  I don’t know about you, but it makes me furious to think that I would give that old monster one more second of pleasure!

So I’m hitting the ground...on my knees...and asking God to remove any spirit of unforgiveness that I might harbor toward anyone.  I am asking Him to give me a perspective of objectivity...and a heart of mercy and grace fueled by His mighty power.  If you are like me, there are days when you feel like you have already offered a few people more than 77 shots at forgiveness...but let’s not get hung up on the number. Let’s surrender this process to God and let Him fill us with His peace and joy.  Let’s release our negative attitudes to Him and claim that, “The LORD is my strength...He has my back...He’s got this!” 

I’m reminded of author/teacher Jen Hatmaker’s question in her book
Make Over...”Monkey, who are you dancing for?”  Are we “dancing” for Jesus...or are we trying to do this under our own power?  Let’s make this the day that we ditch the lie of Satan that we are right to harbor these ill feelings.  Let’s “change dance partners” and let Jesus take the lead...once and for all.  Are you with in?

©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: