Daily Devotional for August 9, 2014

James 1:5
If you want to know what God wants you to do, ask him, and he will gladly tell you, for he is always ready to give a bountiful supply of wisdom to all who ask him; he will not resent it.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

I told someone recently...“You are lousy at asking for help!”  I said this in the most loving tone possible, but I was deadly serious.  I don’t know about you, but it frustrates me to see someone I care about in need of help that I know that I can provide...if only they would ask.  I don’t want to intrude or force myself upon the situation...but I would so love to be able to offer assistance, to show the friend or loved one God’s grace and mercy in action.  Often, the “assistance” is a small thing on my part that could have a huge impact on someone else...like running errands, providing a meal, or just lending an ear to hear the person “vent” or “talk through” an issue.  But all I can do is sit back and watch the person struggle to manage by himself/herself...and wait and hope that my “help” is eventually solicited.

Do you see how we do this to God...all.the.time?  For whatever reason, we don’t take a lot of our situations and circumstances to Him in prayer.  We muddle along as best we can on our own...and hope for the best.  I can just picture God sitting in the heavens, practically growling with frustration...knowing that He can provide instant help, grace, mercy, and peace...but He is too much of a gentleman to intrude or step in where He has not been invited. 

We sometimes think that God is too busy...that our issues and petitions are too petty...that we ought to know how to do this for ourselves...that God will be angry, disappointed, ashamed of us, or disgusted...so we dare not mention these things to Him.

Nothing could be further from the truth.  God wants to hear from us...about anything and everything.  He loves us far too much to be in any way unhappy with us for calling upon Him.  And honestly, we all have friends and loved ones who extend God’s grace and mercy toward us...and feel the same way.  They are waiting for us to pick up the phone or drop them a text or an e-mail and say, “I’m a little overwhelmed here...I could use your help.”

Will you make a vow today to stop shutting out God...and also others?  Will you give Him a chance to handle everything...will you seek His will in even the seemingly small things - and see how beautifully He answers?  Will you let others bless you – and receive a blessing in return - as they lift you up with prayers, encouragement, and physical support? 

In short, can we all get over ourselves just a little and stop assuming that God and others stand ready to judge us harshly at every turn?  Can we quit imagining that our genuine requests for help are an annoyance or irritation?  Will we learn to operate in grace and mercy toward others...and to accept the same in our own lives?  God is waiting to pour out His wisdom and blessings on each of us...and others want to bless us in His name.  Isn’t it time you let them?


©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: