Daily Devotional for August 31, 2014

Psalm 103:12
How far has the Lord taken
    our sins from us?
    Farther than the distance
    from east to west!

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

When I strapped Timothy into his car seat after church today, he said, “Momma says when we come home, we need to have a good attitude...forever and ever!”  We took the children home after lunch, and Greg and I laughed that my niece had probably told them to come home with a good attitude, and Timothy asked her “for how long?”...hence, the “forever and ever” comment!

I think sometimes, we ask a version of this same question with regard to the grace, mercy, forgiveness and love of God...”LORD, how long will you love me?  Father, how many times will you forgive my sins?  Is my name really written in the Lamb’s Book of Life just because I surrendered my heart to Jesus and accepted His gift of salvation?”  And the answer comes back over and again...”as far as east is to west...that’s how far I’ve taken your sins.  This is how much I love you...this is the depth and breadth of My grace and compassion for you as one of My children.”

We need to let this soak in a while.  We need to really stop and think about how much God loves us...how much He gives us...all that has been sacrificed on our behalf, and just how vast His care for us really is.  Honestly, the magnitude and extent of God’s mercy over us is astounding...incomprehensible...beyond all that we can ever fully understand – but incredibly unending, all the same.

Now here’s a question for us to consider...how is OUR attitude in return?  Do we behave in a way that respects these gifts?  Do we honor God’s commitment to us with a reciprocal dedication – or the best that we can possibly muster?  Do we reflect God’s extraordinary grace, mercy and forgiveness in our daily living...and in how we interact with others? Do we model a Christian discipleship that reflects a love of Christ for His church so great that it scatters sins farther than the distance from east to west?  Isn’t it time we did?

Will this be the day that you develop a “good attitude forever and ever”...one that truly displays God’s handiwork in your life each and every minute?  How far HAS the Lord taken your sins from you?  Is this reflected in your life as a Christian?  Don’t you think it should be?


©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: