Daily Devotional for May 14, 2015

Matthew 7:15-20
“Be wary of false preachers who smile a lot, dripping with practiced sincerity. Chances are they are out to rip you off some way or other. Don’t be impressed with charisma; look for character. Who preachers are is the main thing, not what they say. A genuine leader will never exploit your emotions or your pocketbook. These diseased trees with their bad apples are going to be chopped down and burned.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

In the last couple of decades, “rock stars” have emerged in the area of Christian faith.  Everyone knows Billy Graham …but a lot of us also know his son Franklin and daughter Anne Graham Lotz, as well as Beth Moore, Chris Tomlin, Jeremy Camp, Jen Hatmaker, Priscilla Shirer, Joel Osteen, Charles Stanley, and dozens of other evangelists, musicians, and authors who have made a name for themselves because of their Christian faith.  I am in no way suggesting that any of these folks are insincere, exploitive, or only interested in your pocketbook…and some do tremendous things with the proceeds from their sales.

My shelves are filled with books by Max Lucado, Joyce Meyer, Charles Swindoll, Pastor Rick Warren, and others.  I love reading the insights of fellow believers…and discovering how God speaks to them.  I have dozens of Contemporary Christian music CDs, and I appreciate the talents of someone who can produce such artistry and give me a great “background” that (in my mind) makes me sound good when I sing along!  We have plaques and crosses in our house that profess our love of Jesus…and I wear jewelry with crosses and fish that further symbolize my allegiance to God.

Christian music writer/performer Michael W. Smith created a song several years ago called “Cross of Gold*”…and in part, the lyrics say: 

It's confusing to me ~ The message you're sending ~ And I don't know if I can relate ~ What's your line ~ Tell me why you wear your cross of gold ~ State of mind ~ Or does it find a way into your soul ~ Is it a flame ~ Is it a passion ~ A symbol of love living in you ~ Or is it a game ~ Religion in fashion ~ Some kind of phase you're going through
I do not think this passage in Matthew is literally about preachers as much as it is a warning for all Christians to be very clear in our message and our motives.  Are we “playing the game” with our faith?  Are some on board with Jesus merely to make money?  I once was “greeted” at Walmart by an associate who was trying to sell a shopping cartload of potato chips.  He said to me, “You’re wearing crosses on your earrings, so you must be a Christian…surely YOU will buy a package of these chips!”  I smiled and said, “I am a Christian, but I don’t need chips today.”  Are people making certain assumptions about us based on our appearance and demeanor...or what we say and how we say it?

The short answer is, “Yes!”  The lesson is 1) we must understand that not everyone who wears a cross or claims to love Jesus truly has a passion for Him and serving as His disciple.  We must be discerning in our relationships and trust…and rely on God to show us who is the “real deal” – and who is out to rip you off…mentally, physically, emotionally, or spiritually; and 2) we must make sure that our own motives are pure…that we are genuine in our faith and service…and in what we share with others.

Wear your crosses…read the books that inspire you to love Jesus more (especially God’s word!)…listen to music that uplifts and encourages you in your faith…and pay attention to the “signs” that God gives you with regard to what you see and hear.  Be genuine and real in YOUR discipleship, and live in a way that pleases God rather than others.  If you are sincere in your faith and Christian witness, people will know…and if you’re not, they’ll know that, too!


©2015 Debbie Robus

*https://michaelwsmith.twoseventwoshop.com/product/Change-Your-World

No comments: