Daily Devotional for May 31, 2015

1 Corinthians 3:16-17
You realize, don’t you, that you are the temple of God, and God himself is present in you? No one will get by with vandalizing God’s temple, you can be sure of that. God’s temple is sacred—and you, remember, are the temple.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

Everywhere we turn, someone is telling us how to treat our bodies.  Eat this…don’t eat that…use this workout program to lose the most weight in the shortest amount of time…stop smoking…drink responsibly…just say no to drugs…take this drug/supplement…beware of XYZ medication if you suffer from any of a litany of conditions, and anticipate even worse side effects than what you took the drug to treat in the first place…YOU may be a candidate for lapband or the latest curative surgery…visit ABC cosmetic center and get lifted, tucked, lipo’d and restructured!  It’s all a bit mind boggling! 

Not to be outdone, we can work on our hearts and minds, as well.  We can read books, watch videos, and attend seminars to get ahead in our careers, better parent our children, rescue any relationship, and improve our abilities to be all that we can be!

When we read this passage from Paul to the people of Corinth, we generally tend to think in terms of things like overeating, smoking, drinking and drug abuse.  But if we stop and consider His words carefully…that our body is God’s sacred temple…we come to realize that most of us vandalize this “temple” every single day in one way or another.  I keep being reminded of the phrase, “Garbage in…garbage out!”

I am guilty of eating the wrong things – and too much in general. I spend excess time in front of a TV or computer screen rather than exercising my body. I am also prone to watch more reality TV than I should, spend too much time viewing one more cute cat video that I found on Facebook or “liking” other friends’ posts…and giving far too much energy and consideration to “mindless drivel” and “piddling”.  And I am not all that different from you or anyone else.

Not a single one of us would seriously consider vandalizing property – our own or that of another person.  Most certainly, we would never even think about doing harm to a church or temple.  So why do we treat our own “temples” so cavalierly? 

We talk about doing all the right things…but we often do exactly the opposite.  Why is this?  Why do we “vandalize” our “temples?”  I know it sounds cliché, but I believe it comes down to a matter of willpower - ours (fueled by encouragement from the devil) vs. that of God Almighty.  This is why Paul tells us in Romans 7:14-16 that “Yes. I’m full of myself—after all, I’ve spent a long time in sin’s prison. What I don’t understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise. So if I can’t be trusted to figure out what is best for myself and then do it, it becomes obvious that God’s command is necessary.”

This is our answer, also.  God’s command IS necessary.  We must spend more time with Him, learning His ways, listening for His voice…and putting His will for our lives into action.  It may be challenging at first – maybe even a little bit difficult as we surrender to God and allow Him to have control.  But we will be healthier in every way because of it.  We will be stronger – and ultimately more confident and complete - because of WHO is powering our efforts.  Our “temples” will glorify God and represent a place that He is proud to inhabit.  This should be our ultimate goal!  Is it yours?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: