Daily Devotional for May 5, 2015

Romans 6:6
Your old evil desires were nailed to the cross with him; that part of you that loves to sin was crushed and fatally wounded, so that your sin-loving body is no longer under sin’s control, no longer needs to be a slave to sin;

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

My name is Debbie, and I am a shoe-a-holic!  I have loved pretty shoes all of my life…dating back to the twice-a-year sale my mother would take my sister and me to at Kempner’s Shoe Store in Little Rock, back in the 1960s.  Because it was a half price sale – and my Aunt Altha noted that she and I had a big foot that was “the same size as half the world” – the selection in my size was often a little “interesting.”  This would explain why I once had a pair of orange leather penny loafers!  Since my mother and grandmother made most of our clothes, my outfits were created in colors that coordinated with said shoes!

As I got older, the heels on my shoes got higher, and I began to acquire a few pair that were beautiful to look at – and made my legs look fantastic – but literally were a PAIN to wear.  They didn’t feel so bad at first – and honestly, I felt so great in them that I tried to ignore any discomfort.  But over time, these “high heels” started to really irritate me.  Ours was a love-hate relationship.  I began to realize that this kind of shoe was truly uncomfortable and not right for me.  But I had purchased them…spent money on them…and they were fun (momentarily)…so I felt obligated to wear them, at least once in a while!

I’ve gotten rid of most of these pain-inflicting “stilettos”…and I have to tell you, it was cathartic to let them go.  I’ve traded them for “heel shoes” (as Timothy calls them) with a shorter, more sensible - yet still-attractive - heel height. These days, I am more concerned about comfort and the freedom to concentrate on what really matters than on whether my legs look lean and shapely – and my feet are killing me!  I look at the two or three pair of HIGH heels I still possess and remind myself that they represent someone I once was…a person who wasn’t necessarily that bad - but one who was not totally comfortable in her own skin, either.

I hope you see where I am headed.  Maybe, like me…it took you a while to realize that there were elements of your life that were not fitting well…that you were not comfortable in your present situation…and that the culprit was the “ill-fitting-shoes” of sin. Maybe your life seemed fun…and maybe some situations were areas that you adapted to, like the “orange-loafers” of your life, and ran with it – even when these things didn’t seem to be quite right. 

Hear the GOOD NEWS!  Today is the day to “clean your shoe closet”…to get rid of anything that pinches, doesn’t go with any of your clothing, or simply feels wrong.  This is the day to nail your sins to the cross with Jesus and rid yourself of them forever.  Even if you have been a Christian for a long time, you may still have a few areas where you struggle…a few “pair of shoes” from the past in your closet that remind you of where you once were.  Give those areas to Jesus today.  Let Him help handle them for you and free you of their burden.

I’ll be honest…I have ONE THING in my wardrobe today that is a light shade of orange. I loved those shoes when I was in 7th or 8th grade, but orange is really not my color. It’s time for us to recognize that we have been limping along in our spiritual lives and “making do” with our sins long enough.  Make today the day that you nail them to the cross, once and for all, and walk/run in the freedom and comfort of a life in Christ Jesus.  The hands and feet of Jesus work best when they aren’t hurting.  How are your “feet” feeling today? 


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: