Daily Devotional for May 15, 2015

1 Corinthians 14:33
God is not one who likes things to be disorderly and upset. He likes harmony, and he finds it in all the other churches.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

A few months ago, I got serious about cleaning closets and drawers in our house.  In particular, I spent about THREE DAYS working on my laundry/sewing room. Yes, it was THAT bad!  I organized drawers, labeled containers and sorted the things to put in them.  I cleared counter space and cleaned everything thoroughly. I had come to the point where I said, “I cannot sew another garment – or make another card – until I get this room in order.”  There was no harmony in that room, and I could not function properly in such chaos and clutter. 

The room isn’t perfect, but I am making a concerted effort to maintain some semblance of order there.  I try to leave a few minutes at the end of the day/evening to clean up and put things away. I find that I am more productive in this space now…that my entire spirit has lifted, because for the most part, there is harmony and order there.

In our relationship with God, a lot of us need to spend some time giving things a good cleaning.  We have become scattered and jumped on one bandwagon too many!  Are the “old ways” of worship outdated and no longer relevant?  Do we sell everything and give to the poor and humble ourselves…or does God want us to be rich and dripping in furs, diamonds and new cars/houses?  Do we need to take to the streets and “meet people where they are”…or do we need to build a big new sanctuary as a literal “temple to God” that shows others how much we love Him?

Do we need to raise our hands and play the music louder…or do we need to “be still and know” His voice?  Is God over and done with worship on wooden pews with traditional hymns and rituals?  Does He now require that our services include a coffee bar, light show and a full stage of musicians?  Are choirs and organs passé…does God now insist we praise Him with a full orchestra?  Is loving others…visiting the sick, helping the poor and needy, and simply sharing your personal time and attention with others no longer a valid way to minister in Jesus’ name?  Does He now expect us to have “programs” for such things?

I have prayed about all of these questions…and many more…in recent weeks/months, and the answer I keep getting is this…”Just go…be…do.  Operate with order and harmony.  Study My word and see what has worked for centuries. You don’t have to reinvent the wheel…you just have to do what I ask – to minister in My name.  I will show you how, where and when to do these things. Clear away the clutter and focus on Me.  Fix your eyes on the cross and Jesus…and give Me space to work!”

I am constantly re-assessing my craft/sewing/laundry area…checking to see where I might be getting a little lax or letting some disorder creep back into the space.  And we must do this in our Spiritual lives, also.  Every day, we must take a few minutes to asses our relationship with God…how we are serving Him and worshiping Him…whether we are truly hearing from Him and following His lead.  God enjoys harmony and order.  When we strive to give Him these things in our own lives, we will be amazed at what He can do in and through us.  I’m ready to get things in order and find out…what about you?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: