Daily Devotional for August 14, 2016

James 1:2-4
Dear brothers, is your life full of difficulties and temptations? Then be happy, for when the way is rough, your patience has a chance to grow. So let it grow, and don’t try to squirm out of your problems. For when your patience is finally in full bloom, then you will be ready for anything, strong in character, full and complete.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Today, two “memes” showed up in consecutive order on my Facebook wall.  The first one said, “Sometimes the strongest among us are the ones who smile through silent pain, cry behind closed doors, and fight battles nobody knows about."  The next one said, “Dear ‘Whatever doesn't kill me’... I'm strong enough now!  Thanks!”  I was unable to positively determine the authors of these quotes, but I felt they were worth sharing.

None of us likes to be uncomfortable.  We do not relish difficulties and temptations…much less a “rough row to hoe!”  Ask anyone if he/she enjoys tests of patience...or problems...and you’ll probably get a resounding “NO!”  The old adage that "What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger" may have some truth to it...but most of us would rather not test that theory!

Still, we read in James 1 that difficulties and temptations should bring us joy! We read that patience will grow out of challenges…that our character will be strengthened, and our faith in Jesus Christ will be fully developed.  And those of us who have lived through some “stuff” can attest to this.  As I think about my own life and the times when I was truly tested…I see how God used these times to develop my faith muscle - and keep it strong.

Timothy mentioned to me again this morning that "your home is always joyful and happy” (his words).  He knows that Greg and I have challenges…that we have experienced grief, health concerns, and other life events that have tried our patience.  And yet, he sees that we are (generally) able to manage them with confidence…and a positive outlook.  I pray that our children will take this example to heart…that in the years to come, we can encourage them to internalize the words of James in this passage... and trust God to care for them and develop their faith – even in difficult times.

There was one more “meme” that I noticed as I was preparing this message.  It said, “People who wonder if the glass is half empty or half full miss the point...the glass is refillable.” God can fill our “glass”…and He will do so over and again, if only we will trust Him. I cannot prevent challenges, heartaches and disappointments in my own life, the lives of our children – or you!  But GOD can help us all to grow in and through these experiences…and share an ever stronger faith in Him with others.

Whatever you are experiencing today, trust God to get you through it.  Allow Him room to work, and watch as He develops your faith and strengthens your ability to operate in patience, courage, and empathy.  God will fill your “glass”…and keep it filled.  Are you ready to let Him?


©2016 Debbie Robus 

No comments: