Daily Devotional for August 30, 2016

John 18:33-37
Meanwhile, the apostles were meeting regularly at the Temple in the area known as Pilate went back into the palace and called for Jesus. He said, “Are you the ‘King of the Jews’?”

Jesus answered, “Are you saying this on your own, or did others tell you this about me?”

Pilate said, “Do I look like a Jew? Your people and your high priests turned you over to me. What did you do?”

“My kingdom,” said Jesus, “doesn’t consist of what you see around you. If it did, my followers would fight so that I wouldn’t be handed over to the Jews. But I’m not that kind of king, not the world’s kind of king.”

Pilate said, “So, are you a king or not?”

Jesus answered, “You tell me. Because I am King, I was born and entered the world so that I could witness to the truth. Everyone who cares for truth, who has any feeling for the truth, recognizes my voice.”

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.
 
Last night, we had a birthday dinner for my niece, Jasmine.  Timothy was running around in a “dress-up” costume, pretending to be some imaginary character.  He said, “You can call me Dr. Evil…or just ‘E’…but don’t call me XYZ (I cannot remember the other name).” I’ll be honest, I had no clue who he was…or whether he was really “evil” - or a good guy.  And he did little to give me any insight beyond what names I should use to address him.

Who are you?  Who do people think you are?  Do they know you by the reputation others have assigned to you…and is it a favorable one?  Are you known as a “good person” or someone who is “nice”?  Conversely, have others heard that you are NOT a decent person…that you are unkind, arrogant, pretentious, judgmental, dishonest, or self-serving - and not to be trusted?  Have people formed opinions about you based on your demeanor – and have these sometimes been unfair or inaccurate? Do others have any CLUE that you are a follower of Jesus?

Here’s the thing…people ARE watching – and forming instant opinions.  Right or wrong, we all pay attention the opinions of others…and sometimes, these color OUR thoughts. Each of us has a set of criteria by which we evaluate others…and quite often, there is no room on this list for actual truth. I think on some level, Pilate knew who Jesus really was…but he would not allow himself to go against the opinion of others and stand up for the truth. There was no attempt by Jesus to deceive…He never hides the truth of Who He is – or His message.  But I think that there are times when we “put on a costume,” so to speak…and show others who we want them to see, rather than who we truly are – much less who Christ calls us to be!

We downplay – or even belie – our faith in Jesus in favor of a more popular demeanor and stance.  We hide the truth of Christ. We laugh at the offensive joke… show up where we know we shouldn’t…look the other way when we know something wrong is being said or done - and even step over others to make ourselves look better.  We gossip, judge, discriminate, glorify people and actions that are anything BUT worthy of any credit or recognition.  And worst of all…we do a lot of these things while calling ourselves Christians and claiming the name of Jesus!

We are not seven-year-olds in a costume pretending to be some imaginary character.  Many of us are saved and sanctified believers who are supposed to be Disciples of Christ who share His truth with others.  We are supposed to be transparent, unabashed proclaimers of Jesus’ message who leave no question about Who we serve…representatives of the King who doesn’t belong to this world but came to save it for God’s Heavenly Kingdom.  People should be able to recognize us readily as Christians…as followers of Christ who know His voice - and willingly obey Him.

Who ARE you…and who do others think you are?  Are you in need of an “identity makeover?”  Will this be the day that you take off your “dress-up costume” and ask God to help you become the person He designed - and Christ redeemed? Don’t you think it should be?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: