Daily Devotional for August 22, 2016

James 5:12
And since you know that he cares, let your language show it. Don’t add words like “I swear to God” to your own words. Don’t show your impatience by concocting oaths to hurry up God. Just say yes or no. Just say what is true. That way, your language can’t be used against you.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

When I was in college, I had the good fortune to land in Francis Irby Gwaltney’s freshman English Composition class.  I had never written so much as a “theme” in high school, and Mr. Gwaltney – an author and screenwriter – required one written essay from us each week.  He assigned the title on Monday, and we turned in our 250-word commentary on Friday.  The following week, he critiqued what we had written and gave us pointers…along with tons of colorful stories and recollections of his screenwriting days in Hollywood…his service in WWII…and his teenage years in Charleston, Arkansas, where he grew up with his good friend, [Arkansas Senator and Governor] Dale Bumpers.  Both men are gone now…but their legacies live on in our hearts and minds…thanks in large part to the weeks I spent under Mr. Gwaltney’s tutelage.

Mr. Gwaltney was so kind to me, and I loved him dearly…but he was a tough instructor.  He counted off a half grade point for a misspelled word…and an equal amount if we used the word “very.”  It was his opinion that this word was completely unnecessary…that adding it to another adjective or an adverb was overkill…even redundancy.  I have to admit that I use this word quite often now…but it took me years to be able to do so without hearing his voice ringing…and almost wincing with the anticipation of a lower grade!

When I first studied James 5:12, I was taken aback as I considered how often we swear an oath.  Much like the word “very,” we pepper our conversation with “I swears” to drive home our point.  We claim…”I swear on a stack of Bibles that XYZ happened”…or “I swear to you he really said ABC”…or as James puts it in this translation, “I swear to God, such and such is true.”  I was struck by James’ suggestion that this shows our impatience with God…that to add a “swear” indicates that what we are saying cannot stand on its own merit - and needs the “endorsement” of God to give it credence and substance.

We are called to speak the truth…and stand by our comments and claims.  We are commanded to be the “real deal” for Jesus…and to live in such a way that others know that they can trust what we say is endorsed by God – without our adding an oath.  Just as the word “very” is unnecessary, an oath does nothing to truly substantiate our words.  Mr. Gwaltney insisted that the use of the word “very” implied that we lacked confidence in our statement…and felt we should bolster it with this unwarranted descriptive.  It seems to me that James is saying the same thing to us about adding oaths to our language.

The next time you start to “swear,” remember James 5:12.  Let your word be your bond…pure and simple.  Honor God by how you demonstrate your faith…and how you treat others.  Choose your words wisely, and let others see Jesus in your daily living.  Fully embrace the truth that no further emphasis – especially a swear – is ever needed.


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: