Daily Devotional for August 26, 2016

John 14:15-17    
“If you love me, show it by doing what I’ve told you. I will talk to the Father, and he’ll provide you another Friend so that you will always have someone with you. This Friend is the Spirit of Truth. The godless world can’t take him in because it doesn’t have eyes to see him, doesn’t know what to look for. But you know him already because he has been staying with you, and will even be in you!

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

Recently, I discovered a website called Power of Positivity (PoP)*, which describes as part of its focus…“the good in the world, how you can expand that good within you, and how that expansion from within can generate more good for others.”  While I don’t necessarily endorse everything shared on this website, the article that caught my attention was titled “9 Things You Should Say to Your Kids Every Day.”  These are:

  • I love you
  • I like it when you...
  • You make me happy.
  • I'm proud of you.
  • You are special.
  • I trust you.
  • I believe in you.
  • I know you can do this.
  • I am grateful for you.
It seems odd to me that we would have to be reminded to tell our children some of these – especially “I love you!” As I read this list, I thought about not only how I speak to the children in my own circle…but also my relationship with our Heavenly Father – and how He speaks these things into me every day through His Holy Spirit.

These simple phrases can be incorporated into our daily “mission” to show others what Jesus has told us.  We can let someone know that we love them and care about them.  We can recognize the qualities and accomplishments of others. We have opportunities to convey to other people that we trust them…believe in them…are confident in their abilities…and that we are grateful for their lives.  By merely stopping to say “Hello” to an acquaintance at school, church, or in the aisle at Walmart, we can acknowledge the joy and pride our association with that person brings – and boost their confidence in the process.

We have grown so comfortable with criticism and ugliness.  We are ready, willing and eager to share a negative post or a condescending remark.  We can’t wait to laugh with others about someone’s mistakes and shortcomings.  We often mumble and grumble our way through the day. Quite frankly, if the Holy Spirit lives in our hearts, very few people would ever know it by the way we talk and act!

God calls us to change this…to look for positives and recognize the good things.  He wants us to cultivate our relationship with the Holy Spirit and radiate such hope and faith to others that those who know this Friend for themselves will readily recognize Him in us…and the rest will want to know Him.

It doesn’t take all that much effort to flip the switch from negative to positive.  Start with something as simple as whispering these three words…”Come, Holy Spirit.”  Shift your focus today and start operating in the message and mission of Jesus.  Concentrate on sharing His goodness with others - and offering them at least a glimpse of His glory through your spirit of faith and hope.

If you feel you are not hearing these positive affirmations frequently enough, there may be something that you need to change.  Do others see Jesus in your daily living?  Isn’t it time they did?


©2016 Debbie Robus

* https://www.powerofpositivity.com/

No comments: