Daily Devotional for August 19, 2016

James 1:19-21
Dear brothers, don’t ever forget that it is best to listen much, speak little, and not become angry; for anger doesn’t make us good, as God demands that we must be.

So get rid of all that is wrong in your life, both inside and outside, and humbly be glad for the wonderful message we have received, for it is able to save our souls as it takes hold of our hearts.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
The last time Nathan visited, he did not like how I corrected him for being bossy, and he screamed at me in anger and frustration.  Remember…he is only four!  I quickly picked him up and carried him to our “Time Out/Naughty” chair.  He screamed the entire way…”I’m sorry!  I’m sorry! I’m SORRY!”  I sat him in the chair and held him there as he wriggled to free himself and get up. After a few seconds, he relaxed into the chair and began to sob. I calmly and quietly told him that he could get up when he could apologize and speak to me nicely…and after a couple of minutes, he did just that.

As we walked away from the “naughty chair,” Nathan said, “Debbie…you hurt my feelings!”  I told Nathan that he hurt MY feelings by screaming at me.  After hugs and kisses, we moved on with our day…both assured that we still love each other…and hopeful that a lesson had been learned!

One of the hardest things to do when a “child” (of any age) is throwing a tantrum is not to get caught up in it and retaliate in the same manner.  Raised voices, and screaming do not solve anything.  In my opinion, physical discipline doesn’t help, either.  I have found a “time out” to be the most effective remedy…especially when the adult can remain calm and objective and give the other person a chance to recognize his/her mistake and make a correction.

Isn’t this what God does for us all the time?  I don’t know about you, but I never feel that God is yelling and screaming at me!  I know there are times when I make mistakes – sometimes BIG ones – and I feel His disappointment.  But I never detect His anger. God never shames me or berates me.  Instead, He lovingly gives me a “Time Out” to consider my sins and shortcomings.

Because of the blood of Jesus, God allows us the opportunity to recognize my mistakes and make necessary corrections.  And then He showers us with the “hugs and kisses” of forgiveness and undeserved blessings. And this is how we are called to operate with each other.  Ugly retorts, yelling and screaming never solve anything.  Physical attacks do not prove a single point. Sometimes, the best response is none at all.  A lot of “learning” and reconciliation can occur in the silence.

I cannot imagine how awful it would feel to think that God was angry with me…to “feel” Him yelling and screaming, demeaning, or shaming me – much less physically attacking me to drive home His point.  And I would assume that He is pretty disappointed in us when we treat others this way.  Jesus took all of the anger, insults and physical punishment resulting from our sins, so that we can operate with humility, grace, mercy, forgiveness and reconciliation toward each other.  How are you honoring His great sacrifice?

Is God calling you to take a “Time Out” and consider how and where you could do better?  Will this be the day that you squelch your anger and start demonstrating His patience and goodness in your daily living?  Don’t you think it should be?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: