Daily Devotional for August 28, 2016

John 15:9-14    
“I’ve loved you the way my Father has loved me. Make yourselves at home in my love. If you keep my commands, you’ll remain intimately at home in my love. That’s what I’ve done—kept my Father’s commands and made myself at home in his love.

“I’ve told you these things for a purpose: that my joy might be your joy, and your joy wholly mature. This is my command: Love one another the way I loved you. This is the very best way to love. Put your life on the line for your friends.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

Anyone who knows us very well knows that we are huge “homebodies.”  As founders and publishers of Workamper News*, a magazine and website that tell people how to find work while traveling…people readily assumed that Greg and I were criss-crossing the country in an RV. In truth, for the 18 years we owned this business – and in the years since – we’ve rarely gone anywhere.  Our business was home-based for most of the first 16 years…quite literally in an adjoining room of our house for about a decade. For another six years or so, our office was located a short golf-cart ride away - but still on the same property.  We could – and did – work in our pajamas, if we wanted!

Thankfully Greg and I get along quite well, because we have been virtually inseparable since 1987! We are blessed with a special relationship that allows us to live and work together amicably…and to give each other “space” for special interests/hobbies. We revel in our individual joys, as well as common purposes. Like many couples who have been together for a long time, we share experiences…joys and triumphs – and heartaches and concerns.  There is nothing that we would not do for each other…no burden OR delight that we would not take on together.

As idyllic as this all sounds, I have to tell you that I firmly believe the only reason such a relationship is possible is because we are “at home” in the love of Christ. We are just as comfortable in our relationship with Jesus as we are with each other. We have made ourselves at home in His love.  Jesus shares our joys, triumphs and accomplishments…and our disappointments, burdens and sorrows.  He undergirds everything about our lives and creates a safe haven in which to rest and reside.

As I grow in my relationship with Jesus, I have less and less desire or temptation to “travel” to areas that don’t include Him. The “lure” of sin has lost its appeal. I find that I stop in my tracks more often if/when I am tempted to speak or act in a manner that might disrespect or degrade our relationship in any way.  I am quite cozy, comfortable, and “at home” in the arms of Jesus.

This does not mean that I am complacent. With any “home,” maintenance and upkeep are required…and it is no different in my relationship with Jesus. We must cultivate and nurture conversation, shared activities and goals…and Christ’s mission. We must make the time and effort to encourage others to settle in with Him, as well…and we must demonstrate His love by loving them just as He does.

Take some time today to think about your home. Is it a place you pass through on your way to something or somewhere else?  Are you comfortable there…secure and content?  Would you say that this describes your “home” in the love of Christ?  Is your relationship with Jesus like a place where you store your clothes and other belongings…but spend little to no time there?  Or do you delight in dwelling in His presence and serving as His disciple?

Are you in some ways running from Jesus…and does it show in your daily living?  Are you ready to fully embrace your relationship with Christ – and then share the blessings of His love with others?  Will this be the day that your joy fully matures and you settle in to “make your home” with Him?  Don’t you want it to be?


©2016 Debbie Robus

*http://workamper.com

No comments: