Daily Devotional for September 15, 2011

Proverbs 21:2-3
We may think we are doing the right thing, but the LORD always knows what is in our hearts. Doing what is right and fair pleases the LORD more than an offering.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I am continually in awe of how God uses His word to feed us – to give us exactly what we need when we need it. And I really needed this scripture passage now. At a recent funeral, the pastor shared a memory of “offerings and collections” that occurred when we were children. He talked about this lovingly… and about the genuine servitude of those who collected and gave. But for me, this memory spurred something far less heartwarming.

My parents worked hard when I was a child… both often holding down more than one job at a time. While my sister, brother and I had all of our basic needs met plus a few extras, there wasn’t a lot of spare change. So when the March of Dimes volunteer handed out the cards for us to fill with our dimes, we didn’t have very much to contribute. When our church had an annual “Lottie Moon” Mission drive, we put our change in little boxes to turn in on the designated day. But some church members gave large amounts of money and got to light up a bulb on a giant map that hung in our church sanctuary. I know it sounds silly, but when I was a kid, I so wanted to be able to light up one of those bulbs… to be one of those people who could afford to give that much money to missions.

So recollections of giving to missions and fundraisers are not happy ones for me, because I never felt my “gift” was enough. Now I know differently. Now I get that God was more interested in my heart than my handout. He was more concerned that I do the right thing… more concerned that I love Him and serve Him to the best of my ability than He was that I fill a card with dimes or light up a bulb on a silly map.

I know that those who were in charge of the drives had no intention of making anyone feel badly… especially a little kid. I know that there are those who can readily afford to give a lot of money to missions and other projects that serve the LORD… and we should all give to the best of our ability. But tossing money at God without the right heart and attitude does not please Him nearly as much as those who have little to give, but serve with a loving, willing heart in whatever manner they can.

We should get two things from this passage today… 1) we must never pressure others to give a certain amount – or to serve God in a particular way, and 2) God doesn’t expect us to give what we don’t have… time, service or money. He only asks that we serve Him with a loving, willing heart – to the best of our ability. If we do the right thing and keep our motives pure, God will honor and bless whatever we are able to do in His name. I know He has done this for me over and again. And now I know for certain that serving in whatever way I can from a sincere, humble heart is the best, most pleasing offering He could ever desire.

What is in your heart? Are you doing the right thing and pleasing God with your offerings? How are you serving Him today?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: