Daily Devotional for September 22, 2011

Psalm 112:1-4
Shout praises to the LORD! The LORD blesses everyone who worships him and gladly obeys his teachings. Their descendants will have great power in the land, because the LORD blesses all who do right. They will get rich and prosper and will always be remembered for their fairness. They will be so kind and merciful and good, that they will be a light in the dark for others who do the right thing.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Recently I sold an item on eBay that was going down the road to another city in Arkansas. I had charged $6.00 for Priority Mail shipping, but when I saw that the buyer lived so close by, I messaged her and suggested she pay about half that amount for First Class shipping, which will be just as fast and far less expensive. I didn’t have to do this… the buyer had seen the shipping price when she bid, and she was apparently more than willing to pay $6. In fact, I could have easily shipped the package for $3.25 and pocketed the extra money. And I will have to drive to the Post Office to purchase the First Class postage instead of printing a Priority Mail label at home. But this would have been neither fair nor right. I have to stop and ask myself, “How would I feel if someone did this to me?” (You can insert my selfrighteous pat on the back here!)

In the scheme of things, this may seem rather insignificant. But when we are less than fair and honest in small things, we have taken the first step into the darkness of dishonesty and bigger transgressions. I have seen the promises of this scripture passage play out over and again. When people take the high road and do what they know is right, honest, and fair, it matters… and God notices. When we honor God – even in the smallest of things – He blesses us and remembers our “good deeds.” Some call this the “favor of God” – and believe me, I want all I can get!

So I gladly shout praises to the LORD. I try my best to be honest and fair… to do the right thing, take the high road, and be kind and merciful toward others. I know that God will bless my efforts. He will show me favor and shower me with riches (not necessarily money – but wealth in many forms) and abundance I can’t even imagine. He will grant me mercy and kindness… and He will use me to shine His light for others to see. The best part of all of this is that what God does for me, He will gladly do for you, also. But you must do your part. You must operate in honesty and fairness, kindness and mercy, and do the right thing.

How are you operating these days? Are you honest, fair, and striving to do the right thing… even in small matters? Do you feel the favor of God on your life? Have you praised Him lately for blessing you and keeping you on course? Isn’t today a good day to do just that?!

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: