Daily Devotional for September 26, 2011

Psalm 115:1-8
Not for our sake, GOD, no, not for our sake, but for your name's sake, show your glory. Do it on account of your merciful love, do it on account of your faithful ways. Do it so none of the nations can say, "Where now, oh where is their God?"

Our God is in heaven doing whatever he wants to do. Their gods are metal and wood, handmade in a basement shop: Carved mouths that can't talk, painted eyes that can't see, tin ears that can't hear, molded noses that can't smell, hands that can't grasp, feet that can't walk or run, throats that never utter a sound. Those who make them have become just like them, have become just like the gods they trust.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Have you ever known someone who had a collection of things… coins, stamps, memorabilia, and more… and the items in the collection became so important to the collector that he/she talked about them as if they were precious children? Whatever the person focused on became an obsession… and the objects of his/her affection became almost like a god. It is very hard to talk to someone who is so focused on such things, and a lot of people would say this fixation made this person strange at best… and downright frustrating to try to relate with for certain!

Yet we do the very same thing, in a lot of ways. We become so obsessed with a sport, video games, hobbies, and more - or even another person - and we make this our god and devote all of our time and attention toward cultivating this relationship. If we were half as devoted to God as we are some of the people and things that consume us, we would accomplish unbelievable things in His name and for His glory. And we can’t begin to imagine the blessings that would flow in our direction!

I don’t know about you, but I want to serve a God who can talk to me – and hear me when I speak to Him! I want to serve the God of Heaven who loves me faithfully and mercifully… and holds me in the palm of His hand. I want to serve a God who I can trust to always have perfect plans for my life… answers to my problems… and protection for me 24/7. Do you serve the God of Heaven… or a god (or gods) you have made for yourself? Have you seen the glory of the One True God in your own life and the lives of those around you lately? Isn’t it time you did?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: