Daily Devotional for September 27, 2011

Psalm 115:12-18
O God, remember us and bless us, bless the families of Israel and Aaron. And let God bless all  who fear God—bless the small, bless the great. Oh, let God enlarge your families—giving growth to you, growth to your children. May you be blessed by God, by God, who made heaven and earth. The heaven of heavens is for God, but he put us in charge of the earth.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Lately I have found myself torn in a dozen directions… hurrying here and there… spending time with Timothy… checking on my grandmother… taking care of my husband and our household… checking in with friends and other family members… grocery shopping, cleaning, and squeezing in a writing project or two here and there. The days are full… just like yours, perhaps! It’s easy to get caught up in the hectic bustle of daily living and forget to stop and count our blessings. But that is exactly what we need to do!

So today, while I bake banana bread, I will thank God for providing me with plenty to eat – and a beautiful, cozy kitchen in which to prepare our meals. While I drive to my grandmother’s apartment to visit her, I will thank God for blessing me with such faithful, Christian parents and grandparents. When I pick up Timothy at daycare, I will thank God for the loving teachers who care for him and help him grow and learn…and I will thank Him for the joy and laughter of children and how they enrich our lives.

All through the day, I will be thanking God for my wonderful husband and the abundance we share in our lives together. As I look around at the beauty of this glorious fall day, I will thank Him for blessing us with gorgeousautumn weather, bright sunshine, and cool, crisp mornings. I will praise God for blessing us with the gift of His Son – and the promise of eternity in Heaven.

Tomorrow, the world may seem to fall apart. There may be illnesses, death, disappointment, and certainly plenty of “busyness” to fill the day… all a part of life. But even then, I am going to make time to praise God for His blessings… because there will always be more blessings than challenges. What about you? Are you remembering to count your blessings… and to thank God for each of them? Isn’t today a good time to begin?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: