Daily Devotional for September 24, 2011

Psalm 112:9-10
They lavish gifts on the poor— a generosity that goes on, and on, and on. An honored life! A beautiful life! Someone wicked takes one look and rages, blusters away but ends up speechless. There's nothing to the dreams of the wicked. Nothing.
 
Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.
 
The other day I was talking with a friend who said, “I just walked into the kitchen to get aluminum foil, and I opened the refrigerator.  Do you ever do things like that?”  Do I ever!  I do silly, dumb things all the time… and no, I am not losing my mind.  I may be spreading myself a bit too thin at times, but I think that much of this is the devil’s work… just when I think I have it somewhat together, he throws a monkey wrench in everything!
 
The devil will never stop trying to trip us up and dole out grief and troubles. He will never stop blustering and raging and telling us that we are wasting our time to help the needy… that we should focus more on ourselves than on that guy with his hand out.  The devil will tell us that we’re not good enough, smart enough, or physically and mentally capable of handling the challenges he throws our way… and he will work every day to prove it!
 
But God will have none of this.  If we stay close to Him… if we call on God in prayer and constant conversation and fully allow Him to have control of our lives… nothing can defeat us.  The devil’s dreams and aspirations of taking us down will crumble.
 
We must gladly serve others in God’s name.  We must face each day with confidence that whatever comes our way, God can give us the strength, courage, and whatever other “tools” we need to handle it.  We must strive to live an honored life – a beautiful life – in spite of the dreams of the wicked.  With God, all things ARE possible… they really are.  I'm not saying we won't ever open our refrigerators again to look for aluminum foil... or do other things absentmindly or make mistakes and blunder around for awhile. But at the end of the day, we can know that God will tap us on the shoulder and say, "Hey, the foil is in the drawer!" and help us get back on track.
 
Where are you putting your faith and trust today?  Are you listening to the wicked bluster of Satan… or are you honoring God with a faithful generosityand a genuine effort to listen to HIS words above all others?  Who truly has your heart – and your attention? 
 
©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: