Daily Devotional for September 25, 2011

John 10:1-6
Jesus said: I tell you for certain that only thieves and robbers climb over the fence instead of going in through the gate to the sheep pen. But the gatekeeper opens the gate for the shepherd, and he goes in through it. The sheep know their shepherd's voice. He calls each of them by name and leads them out.

When he has led out all of his sheep, he walks in front of them, and they follow, because they know his voice. The sheep will not follow strangers. They don't recognize a stranger's voice, and they run away.

Jesus told the people this story. But they did not understand what he was talking about.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

We were sharing a nice backyard fire with friends one evening, and the conversation turned to our cats. Our friends said they merely have to call, “Breakfast!” and their cat comes running from wherever he is to be fed. He knows the tone and structure of that word… he knows his master’s voice. I seriously doubt that I could get their cat to come if I uttered the same word.

Our cats hear the tinkling of a spoon on a dish in the kitchen, and they come running. They will often come to us when we call them. But let a stranger come to our house, and they run as fast as they can to a familiar hiding place and snuggle in there. They will not follow strangers… they run away and hide.

When I talk to my mom, sister, grandmother, niece, cousin, and a few of my best friends, I never have to identify myself on the telephone. They know instantly they are talking to me… they recognize my voice… and I recognize theirs. I know my husband’s voice and the voices of several others so well I can “hear” them just by calling them to mind. And you can probably do the same thing.

The question is…do we know God’s voice as well as that of our significant other, parents, family and friends? Do we recognize God when He speaks to us – and follow Him… or do we turn and run away? Are we so attuned to God’s voice that we can “hear” it by merely thinking of Him? I cannot stress enough how important it is that we recognize God when He speaks to us. We must trust Him to be our “Good Shepherd” and lead us in the right direction… and we must get in line behind Him and go along – wherever He leads.

Spend as much time as it takes getting to really know God. Get so comfortable and familiar with His voice that you know when He speaks to you. Ask Him to always lead you in the right direction… and trust Him to do so. Follow the Good Shepherd... never run away… and always answer when He calls your name.

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: