Daily Devotional for November 18, 2011

Psalm 130:5-6
With all my heart, I am waiting, LORD, for you! I trust your promises. I wait for you more eagerly than a soldier on guard duty waits for the dawn. Yes, I wait more eagerly than a soldier on guard duty waits for the dawn.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Waiting… we aren’t very good at it, are we?! When I was a little girl, the hardest day of the year for me to wait was Christmas morning. I had trouble going to sleep on Christmas Eve when we got home from my grandparents’ farm. I would wake up every hour, if not more often, and check to see if it was time for everyone else to get up. I would sometimes go into the living room and check under the tree… and my mother would send me back to bed! Sometimes I got my sister up and made her play Monopoly or some other game with me in the closet until daylight dawned! It wasn’t just that I couldn’t wait to open my presents… I always got a kick out of watching others open what I had for them under the tree, as well! I thought they should be as eager as I was!

I find it funny that there are so many things we have a hard time waiting on… but waiting on God isn’t always at the top of that list! It should be… and the more I grow in my faith, the more I find myself placing Him there. I am waiting for the day when I see Him face to face… when I snuggle in His lap and have all of the answers and none of the cares! I am waiting for the time when He gives me a “Heavenly assignment” and equips me with everything I need to accomplish it perfectly. Meanwhile, I am waiting… maybe not quite with the anticipation of a child waiting for Christmas morning – yet! …but waiting all the same.

Who are you waiting for? Are you living in eager anticipation of meeting God face to face? Does this excite you? Or are you frightened by the prospect? Do you live in eager anticipation of this day… or some sense of dread and trepidation? I encourage you to talk to God about this. Get to know Him better and learn more about His promises, so that all fears and worries disappear as you grow in your knowledge of Him. Work on your relationship until you can honestly and eagerly say, “With all my heart, I am waiting on the LORD!”

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: