Daily Devotional for November 20, 2011

John 17:24-26
Father, I want those you gave me to be with me, right where I am, so they can see my glory, the splendor you gave me, having loved me long before there ever was a world. Righteous Father, the world has never known you, but I have known you, and these disciples know that you sent me on this mission. I have made your very being known to them—who you are and what you do—and continue to make it known, so that your love for me might be in them exactly as I am in them.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

I bought a book at a yard sale for my nephew Timothy called I Wanted to Know All about God by Virginia Kroll and Debra Reid Jenkins. I also bought him a beginning book of prayers. He calls these his “God books,” and we read them over and over. I have talked about God and Jesus to Timothy since he was an infant… sung “Jesus Loves Me” and other praise and worship songs. But how do you explain God and Jesus to a toddler? I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s not really any different than talking to someone older. In the beginning, much of getting to know God is pure faith. Someone tells us that He exists and what He has done, and we trust that this is the truth.

The book I Wanted to Know All about God does a great job of planting seeds…with phrases like “I wondered what God's love feels like, and Grandma put her arms around me and gave me a big hug"; "I wondered if God is strong, and the ocean roared in my ears"; and one of Timmy’s favorites…"I wondered if God likes art, and I saw a spiderweb in my uncle's barn.” The illustrations are beautiful paintings that showcase God’s creations, especially children. It’s a start… and learning about God through His love for us and all of nature is a good beginning at any age.

Whether we are two, twelve, twenty-two, or older, our knowledge and communion with God grow as we learn more about Him. We become more accustomed to feeling His love in our daily lives and we feel Jesus’ presence through His Holy Spirit in our hearts. Wherever you are on your Spiritual journey, I hope you are finding God today. The book concludes with this… “I wanted to know where God likes to visit, and I felt someone knocking at my heart. Now when I go out looking for God, I know exactly where to find Him.” Do you know where to find God today? Is He knocking at your heart?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: