Daily Devotional for November 29, 2011

John 18:1-9
When Jesus had finished praying, he and his disciples crossed the Kidron Valley and went into a garden. Jesus had often met there with his disciples, and Judas knew where the place was. Judas had promised to betray Jesus. So he went to the garden with some Roman soldiers and temple police, who had been sent by the chief priests and the Pharisees. They carried torches, lanterns, and weapons. Jesus already knew everything that was going to happen, but he asked, "Who are you looking for?" They answered, "We are looking for Jesus from Nazareth!"

Jesus told them, "I am Jesus!" At once they all backed away and fell to the ground. Jesus again asked, "Who are you looking for?"

"We are looking for Jesus from Nazareth," they answered. This time Jesus replied, "I have already told you that I am Jesus. If I am the one you are looking for, let these others go. Then everything will happen, just as I said, `I did not lose anyone you gave me.' "

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

As we age, we often misplace things and cannot remember where we put them. Trust me… if it hasn’t happened to you yet… it will! My grandmother often “loses” things, and she automatically assumes that someone took them. Usually, I am that someone! She will call and ask, “What did you do with such-and-such?” and I will tell her, “I have not seen it. I’m sure it’s right where you left it.” She argues that the item is not there, and when I visit her apartment, I find it in the exact spot we discussed… or very nearby. I am used these comments and try to calmly tell her that I will look for the item the next time I am there… and that it will turn up soon. So far, everything has been where it should be!

In life, we are often accused of things we had no part in or did not do. Sometimes, we are “called out” for something we did, because the accuser finds fault with it where we did not. Sometimes these people do not have all the facts… or they have been misinformed and made rash judgments. You may be doing all you can do in a particular situation, and others may talk amongst themselves - and to you - about how they feel you could do things differently… or do more.

Jesus took ownership of who He was… even knowing it would cost Him a horrendous, severe beating – and ultimately His life. He was confident in His actions and who He was… His purpose and how it was being fulfilled on this earth. The question for us is whether we are confident in who we are and how we are conducting our lives. When people come to us with accusations and judgments, can we justify our words, actions and choices? Are we fully assured that God is pleased with us and how we are living?

If we are anything but completely certain, we need to stop and ask God to show us where to make adjustments. We probably need to do this anyway to ensure that we are always operating within His will. When the “accusers” come to us and say, “We are looking for a true Disciple of Christ,” we need to be able to say, “I’m right here! I’m doing what God has called me to do and making every effort to please Him. I’m right where He wants me to be.” We don’t have to satisfy these people… but we do have to satisfy our commitment to God.

Being a Christian is serious business. We have given our heart and life to God in exchange for the gift of Jesus’ blood on the cross to pay for our sins. While Jesus gave His life freely for us, those who accept this gift are called to serve Him with everything we have. Jesus tells us to “take up your cross and follow me.” If we are truly doing this, we can boldly stand before anyone who asks, “Where is this Disciple of Christ?” and say, “I’m standing right here where God planted me!” Where are you standing today?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: